Thursday, January 5, 2023

Writing: Good for the Soul

 I have NO idea why I am still sitting at my computer writing when all I did today was sit at my computer and write. I did take a break, and I left the computer, and went to the living room, where I picked up a notebook and began writing longhand! I do that. I so love to actually pen down the things I'm going to flesh out later. It was a wonderful day and it's not over yet. I'll be writing through the evening as well. I'll likely give myself a well-deserved actual break, and take a bath before I start reading what all I wrote. That can't be beaten - - unless I'm rewriting...then, yes, Heaven has another chamber I'll have to investigate.

    For a lot of writers, the idea of having to rework and rewrite the words and efforts made can seem like a chore, a torturous chore, but for me it's bliss. I love it. When I was in school I loved it. I couldn't understand anyone who finished their essay or prose and said, "OK, good, it's done." when all they had done was the first draft. Yep, you heard me the FIRST draft. After the first draft comes the second and you know what happens after that!!  The third and so much more important draft. This one, and only when you get to this one, can you say you have started the essay or the prose. It can't be finished until you go through the third draft with an incredibly thin (microscopic) comb and then you find a thesaurus to help you fill in, flesh out, and override most of the lackluster words you thought were going to stand out and make sense to someone. 

    Writers, if they are actually truly a legitimate excuse for being a writer, will never be satisfied with their work, but they'll succumb to allowing it to be published since there may be a deadline. You can't really be a writer if you like your own writing when it first exits your brain and takes a long dive off your keyboards and into the pool of reality. You must agonize. If you're not agonizing you're not working correctly. It's just that simple. Can you imagine if a songwriter pulled out words from the air and said..."Hey, that's it, I have a winner!!" without ever challenging his or her first thoughts? I can think of ONE song, and ONE song only that stands the test of perfection after being written in one moment.  The University of Oklahoma Fight Song.  Think about it. Genius! 

    The rest of us must see red when we see the blue ink we've spilled on the white papers. We can't say it will be OK unless and until we've swum in it, thought over it, mulled it around, had a few discussions about it, and then, after taking absolutely no one's advice whatsoever, we can make a few corrections before we consider the first draft ready for the next stage. At least that's how I do it unless we're talking blog writing. I just, well, you know what I do, I just type and whatever hits the screen hits the screen. I may use Grammarly because I have to, but I don't do any major readjustments to any of my blogs. Sorry if that surprised you.

    I've been fleshing out the characters and coming up with so many new characters with so many fascinating backstories that I think I'll hammer out a second book after I fiddle with this one for a bit.  I have the murder book to write too, so I think I'll need to squash a few thoughts of lust, robust lovemaking, and Highland hill scenery for the time being, and I'll focus on the mystery of who done it and where is the damn body?  I know where it is, I'm just not ready to tell you yet...he's been dead a while, and he can stay dead a little longer. The pigs can eat swill for now...oh no, did I give it away? Nope...just thought I'd throw that out at you to get a reaction. He's really going to be frozen, chopped up, and then used as compost most likely. I just have to find a way to transport this particular compost from Scotland to the middle of the sea - - without being caught. That's the thing. That's where the thinking comes into play.

    Right after the disposal of the man who shouldn't have pissed me off, to begin with, I'll come up with the 2nd book of Highland frollick since it seems to be a favorite among so many American and Canadian women. Who knew the Macleods, MacGregors, Kessocks, and Campbells had so many fans? I mean yeah, I knew, I've been looking up kilts for decades, but I thought I was just being naughty all by myself. Turns out there are literally millions of us and we're not going anywhere as long as we have a Kindle or an actual book in our hands and can avert our minds for at least a time being. I can contribute. I will contribute. Why not? What I like best about the writing is that it's always going to be MINE. Sure, I borrow ideas. We all borrow ideas, but we change them up, dress them up, oftentimes we dress them down, and then we create a new image for the passage entirely. Bam!

    Writing isn't just about putting words down, it's about knowing your audience, and thinking inwardly to give them what they would want to read. I use myself as a guide for that as I'm a middle-aged woman (OK I'm older) and I have a like, a love, and even a lust for all things Scottish; it's in my DNA quite literally. According to the stats, there are well over 30,000,000 Americans with Scottish blood in their veins. There are over 3,000,000 Canadians with Scottish heritage! Considering that Canada only has 38,000,000 people, that's almost one out of 10 and that's about the same as it is in America. Who knew?  When I write I write what I would want to read. If I'm successful I'll know when I get the feedback. 

    There's a disorder out there that discusses the need or the must to write. I think I have that. I don't write the same things over and over, it's not like that. I would have to say that if I couldn't write I couldn't breathe. I don't have to use a pen and paper. I can use my mind, but I'm not ever going to stop thinking and creating imagines; it just can't happen. Call it a curse, call it a blessing, call it a calling - - it is what it is. I am who I am, and that's what we're dealing with. Until next time, have a blessed evening, and try to keep up!!  I'd say I'll slow down to help you out a bit, but I don't want to lie to you. 


Photo Credit: Who.com.au

No comments: