Friday, January 20, 2023

James Fraser MacFarlane (of my book) IS DEAD!!

 My deepest and most sorrowful apologies go out to any and all men whose name is James Fraser MacFarlane, as today he has been driven to Hell by the swift actions of our hero Ewan Williams Hastings of Glenmore.  Dead! The man is in fact completely dead, without a doubt, he will not be returning in the form of the living in the book. He will be spoken of, he will be cursed, but he will not walk among the moors, and more importantly, he will not continue to beat and harm innocent people as was his tendency to do when they were not acting within the bounds of his required tyranny. Gone! Thank you, Ewan. I know it was a most difficult thing to bring yourself to do considering the harmful way you were treated in the past, but let it be said that courage is found when it is needed.  I think there are a few country and western songs about this type of courage, one of them being "The Coward of the County"; for the love of Becky, his girl, Tommy made things right.  They won't be calling Ewan a coward at this point.

    A few things need to take place in the glen and in surrounding areas before we can see the two love birds take flight in union. At this point, Ewan is but a lad, a full 10 or 11 years younger than Aria. There will be much life taking place between the next few chapters as we see Keely and Antoin come together in marriage, and we see Alina striking out and making some great strides in her art.  We'll no doubt mourn a little, laugh a little, wish a little, and think about the ramifications of ending a man's life on the glen just outside your home; unless of course, the fae finds him first! Oh...could that be foreshadowing folks? Oh!!

    I'll leave you be with the wonders and the thoughts about what could happen next. I, on the other hand, will be drawing up the next couple or three chapters in my mind and on paper so that I can strike the keyboard and bring them to life. I have scores of suggestions for words to use, phrases I found in the 200+-year-old books I'm reading that have been such an inspiration not only for their meanings and for what they can offer, but just the fact that I am loving the style of these men who wrote in the 19th century about things that happened in the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries in and about the Borders of Scotland. You may see a phrase that I found interesting, but if I use it in its entirety I will give credit. Actually, now that I think about it, I can't do that as the book I'm writing takes place before the books I'm reading were written, but I can take the words, rewrite them, add more or take away from, and give them new wind by which to carry themselves through the pages of my novel.  Whether I say "the hues of the moon ebbed in mooted tenure", or if I say "the moon gave the stars permission to gaze upon her silvery complexion", I've said the same thing.  I love writing.

    Chapters 10 and 11 are around 2500 words each. I could end up putting them together as they do sort of go together, one does follow the other in terms of chronological order; it could happen. We'll see. Tomorrow's chapters will take us from Glasgow to Edinburgh, from Edinburgh back to Glasgow, with a stop off in Bathgate to buy a few bars of soap, and yes, I'll explain the making of the bars so that you can have an idea of what it was like in the 18th century to make soap products. I make them now, and believe me, it's so much easier I'm sure.  When I think about the stamina and moxy of our ancestors, no matter where we all came from, we have a great debt of gratitude to give to each of them. They were TOUGH people in so many ways. Here we are complaining about things that would cause many of our great-greats to slap us right across the face, and they would have the right to do so. I may even thank them if I saw that.


Photo Credit: Photoeverywhere.co.uk

Hint: James Fraser MacFarlane was killed next to the ruins.

No comments: