Monday, January 23, 2023

Chapter 15 is Fixed

 That is so not the truth. Why did I lie like that? The 15th Chapter of my book is merely written, it is not FIXED.  It won't be complete until I can canonize the book and go through it page by page. I will FIX it at that time. It is now written. I even used the thesaurus to find a word for "done" and yeah, I got "fixed". I can't say it's incomplete because then my readers and followers are thinking it's not finished so why would I go on to write further chapters if I'm just leaving 15 out to dry? I'm not. It's done, but it's not fully done. None of them are. I find myself realizing (in the middle of the night) that I have said something I didn't need to say, or I should have said, or what needs to be added to in order to make more sense. It's so hard to just step away from the keyboard. I write each chapter from start to end and when it seems like a good place to stop it I stop.  

    The way I write I want each chapter to be able to stand on its own and leave a little to the imagination but also conduct itself in such a manner that if a reader picks up the book and can only spare enough time to read a few chapters, they won't be disappointed with the amount read. I want them of course, to want to continue the storyline, but if bedtime calls or a kid needs attention, the reader can put the book down (or Kindle) and pick it up without feeling they missed out on too much. I like that style rather than cliffhanging all the time. 

    As usual, the disposal of the body is far more important to me than the actual killing of it. In this case, the body would be found eventually, and it would be honored as being made to lay beneath the stacking of stones into a cairn.  Cairns is what I call the ancient equivalent to the game Jenga, but using actual rocks and stones vs. the wooden small rectangles with the word "JENGA" stamped on each. There were no advertisements on these cairns they were in fact their own form of advertising, as they were often used to mark boundaries between places.  Think about the signs you see when you enter a different city or state. "You are leaving Bethany" is what one would say on the one side of the sign while the other sign might read "You are entering Warr Acres".  Cairns stand in places that have for hundreds or even thousands of years have passed with locals knowing what they stood for; what they represented. This one, the one piled high over the body of James MacFarlane is a boundary marker of sorts, telling those who would come from far or near that they chance meeting with dangerous faun and fae should they proceed! Warning! Go Away!! Nothing to see here.

    Aria and Ewan will meet up again in this chapter and take their fruits and wares through the cities between the Clyde and the Castle, and they'll sell things, buy things, talk things out, and no one is the wiser who may see them. No one knows the truth except those few in their party and believe me, those lips are sealed. Even the lips of the three mongrel dogs who accompany them. Merlin and Neville belong to the Broonfords, while Ginger belongs to Ewan. No cats will make the trip to the bigger cities. You can't really trust a cat to keep your secrets anyway. The horses yes, they never tell a word, but the cats can be bribed. So fickle.

    With Chapter 15 written, and the day being early, I'll crank out Chapter 16 for sure, and maybe have time in the day left to write Chapter 17 too. I won't start a chapter without finishing it. I don't write half of a chapter and come back to it. I'll stay up all night if I have to, but yeah, it will be finished if I start it. That's just who I am. Then again, it won't finished finished until I go through it and do more to it. So yeah, there's that too. Fun times!


Photo Credit: Purrfectcatbreeds.com

No comments: