Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Robbie Burns Day 2023

 When I posted "Happy Burns Day" on my Facebook today I had a friend from the USA comment in a private message asking me if I was a secret arsonist; and if I was, why would I be advertising it so blazenly (see what I did there, blazenly) across the wall of social media. Ha! It made me laugh.  No, I'm not a pyro. I'm celebrating the life and writings of one of the most gifted writers from my beloved Scotland. Robbie Burns was born poor enough, and without what some would say a chance in hell to become as well known and loved as he has; perhaps posthumously.  His poetry cuts to the core of his own love for Scotland, the land, the people, and the traditions. He knew love, and he lost it. He knew what it meant to work hard, to dream big, and to keep the dream in your mind at all times.

    Today, on this January 25, 2023, I am relaxing at home while listening to fantastic music from two of my very favorite artists, both performing Celtic music, but neither of which is actually from Scotland. I am listening to the South Carolina-based band SYR and to Los Angeles' son composer Alan Williams. If you haven't heard of these groups/people you have some listening to do. I will leave links to both of their respective sites at the end of the blog.

    Traditionally on Robbie Burns's day, I suppose those who are living in Scotland will read some of his poetry, they will shop, have the day to relax with family and friends, and they will typically eat a meal of haggis and tatties. Perhaps haggis and tatties were a favorite of Burns, I don't know. It's easily researched I'm sure. I'll add a link about Mr. Burns at the end of the blog as well so you can read his work. Now, I will say this, that most of if not all of Robbie Burns's work was written in the traditional Scots language, which is NOT typical English. It is not that easy to translate if you're unfamiliar with the language. Even giving you a site to translate words would be daunting as most of the words written are in his native tongue. I've been studying Scots for about three years and it's still quite difficult for me to get through an entire poem without using my Chambers Concise Scots Dictionary! I love it though. I really do. I live to study.

    I'll give you an example: 

The Banks o’ Doon’.

"Ye banks and braes o’ bonie Doon,
How can ye bloom sae fresh and fair?
How can ye chant, ye little birds,
And I sae weary fu’ o’ care!
Thou’ll break my heart, thou warbling bird,
That wantons thro’ the flowering thorn:
Thou minds me o’ departed joys,
Departed never to return …" (
Robbie Burns)

    (the word "brae" is the word for "wide." The word "sae" is the word "so" and the word "fu'" is the word "full")

This one is an easy one. It's short and precise indeed.  He loves the rivers and the birds that he sees along the Doon and he is sad that they come and go, reminding him of times that come and go never to return. Burns had a beautiful affection for a woman who passed far too young, probably of fever or consumption. He only lived to be 37 years old himself.  Tragic really. He was so talented and the world could use a few more like him.

    Well, that's me, that's what I'm doing today at this moment, and in an hour or so I will continue my own writing; and yes, I'll add Burns and one of his poems to my book so that he will be and can be celebrated at every chance given.  Have a blessed day and mind the wild haggis as they seem to know it's a hunting day. You canna catch one any sooner than the day you kill, clean, and dress one for dinner. They can be nasty little boogers.

Robbie Burns: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burns

Poems by Burns: https://interestingliterature.com/2015/12/10-robert-burns-poems-everyone-should-read/

Alan Williams: https://alanwilliams.com/

Syr Music: https://syrmusic.com/



Photo Credit: Penbaypilot.com (Robert "Robbie" Burns 1759-1796)

No comments: