Sunday, January 22, 2023

Chapter 14: In the Bag.

 I wasn't really sure what I was going to do for this chapter, I knew it followed the last chapter, but in some chapters, there will be a bit of jumping around or even flashbacks used, so there was this question in my head as to whether I would leave the drama on the hill where it was and just sort of skip over the Glasgow artesian scene, or would it be prudent to continue the cover-up of the manslaughter (we can't say murder) of James MacFarlane. I decided to continue the links between the events on the hill and the coverup or the distraction we'll say....that's a good way to put it, the illusion! So, Chapter 14 is full of illusions. 

    I did manage to get my own dog into the book at this point. I remember years ago that Faith was called a Golden Retriever and I had to laugh. I mean sure, if you need to tell yourself that, but she was half Chow-Chow and part Labrador, Beagle, and apparently "other traces of dog" as was shown on her DNA test given to her at the Universal Studios in 2007 I think. It's been a minute. I don't remember all the details. Those tests are really not that accurate now, I can only imagine how vague they would have been in 2007. "Other traces of dog" has always been one of my favorite things to say about Faithy.  Of course, there were other traces of dog in her bloodline. Did anyone expect there to be other traces of another species? I don't think so.

    In Chapter 14 I have given Ginger a life within the book. She is now Ewan's dog and she will live with him for the next 12 years at least. He'll marry twice, and she will be at his side both times. She'll be an old gal when the book ends and if I know me I'll have her sitting by the fire warming herself while the masters of the house trip over themselves to bring her whatever she needs.  She is in the book, and I do call her Ginger, but she can't be the breed combination that actually is as there were very few Chinese or Mexican breeds in Scotland in the 1700s; that's where I laugh about Faith and the Golden Retriever mishap. Ginger is probably (no DNA testing) Chihuahua, Dachshund, and Pug...and of course, other traces of dog. She is a mongrel, a mutt, a mixed breed, my Pooh-Pooh as I often call her. She is a small brown terrier in the book, with snappy black eyes and a willingness to please. She's sharp-eyed and sharp-eared, sharp everything and she's genuinely the happiest dog on the planet.  There's no way I would write the book without her. I may put her in the Murder Book too. She could be a common thread. You just never know.

    As I write this now my dog is on my lap and watching me. She can't for the life of her understand why my hands are playing with the keyboard rather than scratching her, so I really think it may be time to go and take care of the Queen. Have a great evening. I don't think I'll get Chapter 15 done today, but I will get two chapters written tomorrow. I am sort of on a writing kick and ready to get this thing done so I can print it out, go over it, change it, add to it, take away from it, and think of other ways to make it pop!

Photo Credit: Me

No comments: