Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Love November

My Grandpa Edwards was born in November, and so was I. We had that. I miss him every time I think about the fact that no one can buy me cordial cherries, and have it mean the same as when he did. He hid a dollar under the bottom row, and he ate the first cherry, EVERY TIME. This is a little girl's poem to my Grandpa's memory. Intended to be sweet and without much fuss. ********************************************************** A Man I Know and Knew
 I knew a man who had one leg 
He had one leg to stand on
 He had two arms, this man I knew 
A chest that his heart could pound on

 He had a head with white ringed hair
 Hair from ear to ear
 No hair on the very top 
His eyes were crystal clear

What a nose! 
It stood out so 
His mouth was just as large
 His teeth he bought, he had two sets 

He rode in Daddy’s car 
This man I knew went away 
Away to be with Jesus 
So far away – I can’t be close 

One day I’ll hold them both
 I know a man who has two legs 
He has two arms just waiting 
Waiting for me to meet him where
 
His chest and heart are heaving
 He has a head of hair I’m sure 
With ears that still stick out
 His nose is sure to be as big 

As big as it ever was 
 I know a man whose teeth are real 
Who never rides in cars 
I know a man whose prayers I feel
 I love you so, Grandpa. 

 Ernest Rivers Edwards November 19, 1890 – July 5, 1982

No comments: