Monday, July 7, 2008

Re-Up



I couldn't find the owner of the picture on top, but I have to say I didn't take it. It is a beautiful sight however. Don't you agree?

When Baby Boy decided to join the Army I have to say I wasn't thrilled. I knew he would be accepted - who wouldn't want a fine, tall, strapping, handsome, strong boy like mine? Of course he would be accepted. It took paying off more than $1500 worth of speeding tickets to get him in, and he had to take his tests over and over again because someone misplaced them - but he was accepted. I knew he would be protected, even though he's broken more than 4 bones, sprained both his ankles, a wrist and his nose at one point. I knew he would be fed. What I didn't realize is that the Army because they have the right to do so, took four inches from my son's height (on paper) so that he could drive a tank. If you look at this picture you'll see that most of those who have re-enlisted are around the same height. How does the Army do that?

Today my son is in a very secret place and I can't tell you where. He's used Facebook to talk to me, he's called and told me how hot it is and how he thinks he'll be even more skinny than he was the last time I saw him. He even mentioned that my own weight plateau wouldn't stand a chance where he is right now. I would lose 20 pounds in a week he promised. That would be one heck of a spa treatment don't you think? Maybe the Army can let a few of us non-combative types in just for the weight loss; then we'd leave and smile, waving to the boys in uniform, thanking them for their hospitality. Water was in good supply according to my son, and he said that he's getting better and better at shooting with sweat rolling into his eyes. That has to be a good thing right? Who wouldn't want sweat pouring into their eyes at about the time they took careful aim with one of those big guns he has on top of that tank? Has anyone considered the damage those things can cause when boys can't see clearly enough to shoot? (He's getting better at it - indicates that he wasn't that good before...what did he blow up, and am I going to have to replace it?)

When I look back over the last two years that my son has been Army-oriented I have to say that green is good for the boy - makes me wonder how he'll look in dusty brown? With the possible new withdrawal program it's likely Baby Boy will be in and out of the sandbox in no time - just in time for Winter to hit up in Fairbanks again, where he was hoping to get a reprieve. He told me once that being a pen-pal of George Bush Sr. didn't exactly help when the orders came to go train. He was hoping for Germany, Hawaii, something with a little color - he got Fairbanks in January, and he's been trying to thaw out ever since - - he's doing that now.

With the re-up going on I have to say that I'm dang proud of the thousands and thousands of men and women who have decided to rejoin and continue the good fight. I don't know how I would feel if Baby Boy did the same, but it is his decision - he is man enough, old enough, smart enough, and trained enough to make that choice for himself...but something tells me he's excited to join the National Guard in a year and get started on the college education he's been writing about. History coaches are in high demand in Oklahoma...you heard me, History Coach. You can't teach History in Oklahoma without a certificate in Physical Education. Reuben's years and years of kicking ass on the football field qualified him for a shot at the best university in the nation as far as he and I are concerned. Soon the University of Oklahoma will have one more green/dusty brown soldier wearing Crimson & Cream and standing guard on the 20 yard line. The bigger difference between this one and the others on that line may very well be that he's there to play the game - having come from a really tough reality in the Middle East.

To those who serve - I can not thank you enough! Hooah!

No comments: