Saturday, July 13, 2024

TAKE FIVE -- (and then some)

 It started out easily enough; I needed an oil change so I attempted to make that happen.  I drove past the oil change place I typically go to, and they were closed. What? What car service place is closed on a Saturday when motorists are usually working the entire week?  My place was closed. That was last Saturday, and I failed to get the car serviced throughout the week because I don't drive that much, and I don't think about it during the week - - I get those things done on the weekends!

    Today, I went to Sam's to get a few things, and instead of turning left against the traffic to exit, I turned right and pulled into the middle lane to turn left into the TAKE FIVE service station that was OPEN!!  Well, that's good news, right? I just wish I would have done a bit more research before pulling into the open bay to have the car's oil changed.  I got into the bay quickly, and by quickly, I mean no one was in line. There were three bays and only one car was being worked on.

    I pulled in, I popped the hood, and then this really nice young man pointed out my options. I could pay $84 or $104 for what I thought was going to be a $29.99 fix.  I was already in the bay, there was already a guy under the car (trap bottom that allows him to be under the car) and my hood was popped. I looked in the rearview mirror, and low and behold, another car pulled right in behind me. I was sort of stuck.

    I told the guy I wasn't really all that thrilled with either choice considering my place did them for $29.99 and he told me I was right, they do, but they aren't open on weekends anymore, and the average wait after 4:00 p.m. is an hour and you have to schedule to get that.  He's right. I was just not happy about it. I got over it and picked the lower-priced change. 

    Since I only drive my car about 300 miles a month or less, he let me know I could go 8-9 months before needing to change it again - - maybe 10.  If you think about it, if I was using regular oil instead of synthetic it would be $29.99 x 3 or 4 times a year, so it's all about the same. He gave me really good oil, and topped off other things such as radiator fluids, water, and even checked my air filter. He laughed when he did. He said, "I see we put this in back in June of 2023." Then he said, "You won't need a new one for a while still. You really don't drive your car much, do you?"  I smiled.

    Then it hit me...I wasn't the one who took my car for the oil change last time, my son had the car, and he took it in. Maybe my place has been closed for a while and I didn't know it. Either way, I have good oil in my car now, and a relatively clean air filter - - a new oil filter of course, and all the fluids are topped off. After tax, it was $97!!  WOW!  That's outrageous to me, but again, it did take under five minutes, and I literally pulled in and didn't even wait to be seen. 

    I have one of those "snapshot" gizmos in my car from Progressive; it tells my insurance people how I drive. It even tells them when my oil has been changed. Each month I pay my insurance for full coverage and from time to time it goes all the way up to $77 a month, but this past month it was $64. Less than a year ago I was paying $127 a month before thinking to shop my options. 

     I think maybe I can go ahead and splurge a little on the oil once or twice a year - - I'm good.  The people at Take Five were really nice too - - they offered me a bottle of cold water before I left, but I had one so I declined...still, very nice.  If there's a Take Five in your area - - go, but be warned, it's rather pricey.  

Photo Credit:  take5.com  

No comments: