Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Big Lots vs. Mathis! (I Made a Decision)

 I love window shopping, and I love browsing online for things.  I do a lot of both. This weekend and all this week so far, I've been fixated on which sofa to buy; knowing that it would need to be both economical and comfortable. It has to look good with dogs and cats all over it, and it has to be sturdy enough to take on those animals as well as my guests.  ( I say that as if I have guests! I have Jeannie and Robin! These are my two guests.)

    The sofa search was a good one. I started out in one of the more expensive stores, knowing the whole time I was there that I wouldn't end up buying one from those stores. I always fall back on either Big Lots or Mathis, and I usually fall back on either the Ashley brand or the Lane brand. It's just the way it is. Today, I decided to go with Big Lots and for the Ashley Tishen Pebble Sand Faux Leather sofa.

    You can Google it easily enough. This particular model is in the $500-600 range, give or take. It's a 3-seater with good material, and a good quality frame, and it has a warranty if you want to purchase that as well.  They have a 4.8-star rating and are good for just about any home with kids, animals, guests, and those that don't.  It's a neutral color and will be accented of course, with throws and pillows so that it ties in well with the new ottoman. I am very happy.

    The thing is - - in the store, it was $529.  Online it was $423. They expect you to buy the "Big Delivery" online for $149.00 so they lower the price. I know the delivery guy and he's going to do the delivery and set up for $75.  I was able to use my Big Rewards value card and get the sofa for $408 plus tax  -- so $435!  Done!  The same sofa at Mathis Outlet was $599.00 and though the delivery was free, they'd want $49 to bring it into the house. (Yeah..no. I did the math.)  My $435 + 75 = $510.  Sorry, Mathis  -- Big Lots wins.

    I ordered the sofa about an hour ago, and called the store to let them know so I can go back into the store tomorrow to pay the delivery guy - - he's going to bring it to the new place either Saturday or Sunday, and bring it in, and move it to the spot where we want it. I may end up getting a nice rug to put under it so it doesn't slide around and so that the dogs don't scratch it trying to get off the slick floors -- no carpet in the new house!

    Since the sofa is a pebble sand color and the ottoman is a medium slate grey, I'll get a rug to bring them together, and a few nice pillows for both the sofa and the ottoman. I'm not going to get a chair after all. I'm going to put the ottoman in the corner and add about 5 pillows...that should do it. I really can't wait  -- and it's only 3 more days. I still can't wait. I'm really super happy.  It feels really good to finally have the space we need. Since we're going through the things we own and are trying to downsize, it should be our corner of paradise.

    If you don't have a Big Lots you can still buy online. I use that store for just about everything except food - but you can still get some essentials there.  If it had a dairy and meat section I would consider living in the back, but as it is, I'm going to make do with my house  -- I wake up thanking God every day for it. He truly is to be praised. I did buy a little plaque for the wall that says "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"...I think the house understands.

Photo Credit: BigLots.com

No comments: