Thursday, July 25, 2024

Last of the Last.

     We are soooooo out of the old apartment!! Laura is literally turning in the keys now; dropping them into the night drop box.  She would have taken time to clean the place tonight, but the maintenance people went in without asking and pulled up all the carpet in the apartment - something they should have done before we moved in over eight years ago.  They spilled at least a half liter of Pine-Sol on the floor and mopped up all the tile and concrete areas. You can smell the Pine-Sol from outside the building. You know the neighbors will not be happy tonight trying to sleep with those chemicals floating around. Geez Louise!

    It feels good to say we stayed in one place for 8.5 years, but it wasn't the best of places. It was in a good building with good people, I will say that. We had a few bad neighbors over the years, but over the past five years or so, we've had good people next to and below us.  Now, we're looking forward to staying here until (or if) I get my own place. I may not do that because the maintenance takes care of the electricity, plumbing, etc, and they keep the lawns mowed. It's sort of a win-win. The cost is the same as if I bought a house of a similar size, but I am not responsible for the insurance or the upkeep. I literally pay the renter's insurance and the utilities, and I'm done.

    Anyway - - Laura is loading the vacuum cleaner, the steam cleaner and the very very very last of the boxes and those things that don't exactly fit into boxes, and she'll be back soon - - and we will no longer be a part of the apartment complex - - sort of. The complex owner's brother owns this house, so we are, but we aren't.  I didn't tell you this before, but while we were moving in, some of the people in the complex were moving out and they dumped their mattresses and box springs on our lawn since it's the corner! NO! I complained about it of course, and of course, they were removed, but I did ask the manager of the complex to send out emails and write notices to let the others know this is not their free space! We live here.

    At least with the dogs barking and romping around the backyard the neighbors know they can't poke their noses too far into the fence without being seen, heard, and smelled.  Ginger is the first to alert and then it's a dog-fest! We have three now.  I do hope we end up staying here a long time (that is unless I win the lottery or sell a lot of books, then I may feel the need to move). It's a good place - it's weird being downstairs, and it's weird being in a house again - - but it's a good weird. I could do without the street traffic being as loud as it is, but yeah, it's downstairs! We live with it.

    This weekend will be an unboxing weekend. I've been doing it as I can, and I'm actually starting to see most of the floor again. I've made a great dent in the laundry - - and believe me when I say that makes me smile. I'm washing things just to wash things now. It's a "because I can" thing!  I've never really felt that way about many things, but God only knows the joy I feel when I put a load into a machine that actually works, and I don't need a card to put into the machine to make it work....and I'm not waiting on someone else...and I'm not praying no one steals my clothes. Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about the new place.


Photo Credit: llco.com

No comments: