Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Anticipation! (Moving Jitters)

 It's really fun, and really exciting to be moving after nearly nine years in the same space.  I remember when I moved from a small two-bedroom house to a larger two-bedroom apartment, we were pretty excited because we were going to save money. Yes, we knew we would give up the backyard, the garage, and the washer and dryer, but we were saving literally $400 a month by doing it.  We were also looking forward to having a dishwasher, a second toilet, more closet space, and carpeted floors. The house we lived in had all wood floors, and where that sounds pretty -- the dogs weren't easy on it. 

    Over the next nearly nine years, we've both (Laura and I) accumulated stuff that we don't need, and we're feeling that now. We both have bags and boxes full of things to donate as well as bags of things to chunk into the big blue dumpster outside our apartment building. It's just amazing what a person collects! We don't need most of it. It's just there. Why on earth either of us thought we'd be able to move quickly this time, is unknown.

    We're going through every emotion possible. We're happy, we're sad, we're excited, we're nervous, and we're thankful. Mostly, we're really grateful and thankful, because moving from a two-bedroom apartment to a four-bedroom house is just too fantastic!  It will cost a great deal more, but we're both working, and we're able to keep up the bills like pros! 

    We just got word that we're able to move this Friday, which is in just three days.  I can start to really get serious now about what I do after work, and stop thinking about what goes in what boxes.  I will be packing for the next three days and putting the boxes in the living room to have them ready to take downstairs on Friday.

    I can load up my car with 6 boxes and about 6 bags each trip and that will cut down on the trips I need for the bigger things. I want to do this correctly, and fast, but smoothly too. It more important to me to relax and do it right than it is to get it over there. I could literally leave what I don't want in my old place, but I don't do that. I throw things out -- donate them, or keep them. I'm even going to clean the place even though I know I won't get a single penny back - - you never do.

    I'm really really really making plans now. I'm waiting for the cable guys to come and do the internet hook-up, and then I'll walk the house again a few times to see what I'm actually willing to bring and what I'll leave behind...in a dumpster.  I have a chair, couch, and mattress that will be left. That much I know. I'm absolutely starting over as far as that goes. I have an amazingly gorgeous Queen-sized frame that I'm giving away because I've had it nearly nine years and I am downsizing to a full-sized bed. (Why did I capitalize Queen, but not full?)

    Anyway, I'm too stoked. I'm looking around at the 15 boxes that aren't built up yet, thinking I need to do that, and then there are all the things in the pantry, hall closet, and bathrooms that aren't going to pack themselves....this will be a very busy evening, and tomorrow and tomorrow's tomorrow will be equally busy!  The best sort of busy there is; a planned busy! I need and love (depend on) plans. I love my plans.

    So, that's it. I'm outta here...soon.  I'm not going very far. I think a good strong man would be able to throw a rock from my backyard now to the new backyard - - but that's not the point. The point is, I will have two rooms, Laura will have two rooms, we each have our own bathroom. I will have a driveway and a garage - - we'll have a washer and dryer as well as a garbage disposal -- but we'll still not have a dishwasher. We had one here at the apartment until it died! (The one they gave us to replace it was not good - - nope, not good.)

    I have to go now - - too much to do!  BYEEEEE

Photo Credit:   Pinterest.com 








No comments: