Tuesday, January 30, 2024

How to Treat a True Musician. (I may be the ONLY person who feels this way)

 In my life, I have met and come across many (a great many) professional music artists because I worked for a very elite group of concert promoters, and I was privileged to meet and get to know dozens of solo artists and members of many bands. Most of them would be recognized if I gave off their names. We aren't close; in fact, there have only been a handful who continued to speak and communicate with me after they came through town and after the company I worked for produced their gigs. 

       When I use the word "musician" I am not talking about someone who plays an instrument. I'm not talking about someone talented and lucky enough to earn a living from either playing an instrument or two, or if they are in fact songsmiths, those very precious who allow words and melody to blend and fulfill a purpose. I'm talking about a man or a woman who is that music; the embodiment of the blending. The person who absolutely cannot (and usually will not) be or do anything other than make music. (Note, I didn't say earn money making music...but making it.)

    The musician is a person who is deeply seeded and rooted in music; they breathe it, eat it, wear it, share it, become it, and who are destined to go where the music takes them whether it is up or down, in or out, with or without, they are the essence of that word. You may know one or two of these people; if you do you are blessed. They are not normal, they are not average, they are not typical, and therefore they cannot be expected to work, earn, pull their weight, or otherwise contribute to a world or society that demands that each partner in a relationship do so. It's not that way with them; it's impossible.

    Some musicians are "discovered" and in every single last case known, they were taken under wing, promoted, produced, and then probably abused and taken advantage of. If the musician didn't have someone in their corner to straighten out the mess they may find themselves in, it could mean the loss of not only their involvement with their gift but for many it means giving up their words, giving up their passion because they didn't know better and signed away the rights to their works before truly understanding the depth of their actions. 

    A musician cannot be expected to be more than what he or she is; if they can, they are only partially musically inclined, and have other aspects (good or bad) running through them; they are multi-faceted. A musician is just that; a mono-faceted being; a musician makes and is music. There really are only a few of these types among us, but they do exist, and when we stumble across one we know. We know, because they thrill our soul. We know, and we should be internally and eternally grateful for their presence. We should also know that they could have already been a victim of one or more who have not been fully affected and fascinated by them. We'll know by their spirit if they have been hurt, stung, crossed, or broken.

    Like an angel, very very much like an angel, a musician is a being of higher energy; consumed with a frequency much stronger and more potent than most. When I say they are not normal, they are not average, they are not typical, it's because they are so far far above the rest of us, we should admire their spirit and embrace their inspiration even if they don't themselves see themselves as being so marvelous. The good ones really never see it; they seem embarrassed or confused when the fact is presented to them.

    God has blessed me in some ways when it comes to my outlook on musicians. He has broken my heart and filled it with sympathy, compassion, and a willingness to bolster, love, and appreciate the grace that is the musician. I am not impressed by any amount of money one may earn, it is by far the least thing I am impressed with in fact. I am moved by their devotion to the calling. I am moved by their dedication, their own passion, and the way they seem to believe the world should be viewed. 

    If no one else is willing to do so, I am willing to forgive a true musician for what the world may see as being lazy, lax, or idle. I am more than compelled that they are anything but this; they are torn in their spirit because they do have families to support oftentimes, and they are expected to do more. They are expected to quit themselves for periods of time to earn,  to pay bills, to keep the fires burning at the homefront - - would it be cruel or inappropriate for me to say anyone who meets, falls in love with, and subsequently marries a musician KNEW or should know the very being of the one they love is not able to quit him or herself even for a moment?

    If God should (and I would not mind if He did) decide to bless me with sharing the rest of my life with a true musician, I would at least have the withal to know that I would not expect that man to work outside of his choice to do so with his music. He wouldn't need to earn but simply play. He wouldn't be expected to profit but to bless. He wouldn't be held accountable for income, but for his walk with his passion; I would hope he would want to share it. If God gave me such a man, then God Himself would also let the man know that I understood and understand all that is and will go with the word "musician". It isn't 94% but 100% of who the person is. God only made a few of them, and they are all so very unthinkably precious.

    Will God do that? I have no idea. God does God. He does what He is going to do. I can tell you this, there is no way under His Heaven or on His Earth that I am seeking to find anyone to share my life with at this point; it would ONLY be Him and His doing if it happened, so if it does happen, my prayer is that God finds me the perfect man for this chapter of my life; and that could only be a musician. That much I will admit to, but I'm not casting any nets. When I say they are few - - they are rare, quite limited, and extraordinarily singular. No net is needed. If it happens, it will be because God flat deemed it; end of story.

    The world at large suffers from not being as compassionate and willing to promote or produce the musician without strings attached, but I do prefer the strings. I have been uniquely redeemed in my spirit because I have the insight to know what is genuinely sacred. 

Photo Credit: Canva.com

No comments: