Thursday, February 8, 2024

New Tartan Book from Waverley on the Way.

 When I was a kid, and I don't remember exactly how old I was, I saw a little tartaned book in my great-grandmother's dresser drawer. She kept ideas in it and things she wanted to remember. It wasn't a diary, it was too small. I think it was a Waverley book, but if they weren't made back in the day, then it was something else. I have found or refound the Waverley notebooks online about three or four years ago and I have decided to use them for my books. I was going to have one Waverley for each Nick Posh book but after writing the notes from Murder Book into the first notebook I realized I didn't need to waste the rest of the notebook. I can use one Waverley for two books, so I am. 

Right now I have four Waverleys but one more (Isle of Skye pattern) is coming in the mail and I'll use it in the future. I have:

  • Murder Book and Cask (Mackenzie Clan) green/blue/white
  • Pinball and Mesa (Macleod Clan) yellow/black/red
  • 1211 and Kingdom (Fraser Clan)  red/blue/some white
  • Shadow and Stollen (Campbell/Blackwatch) Dark blue and black
  • Death Mask and Yet to be Determined (Isle of Skye) also green/blue and white.
I am very much a fan of tartan plaids.  My other novels, the romance books, all but "Of Kilted Pleasure" have other, somewhat larger tartan-covered books because a friend purchased them for me as a gift thinking I would love them. I do love them, but all of my Posh books will be Waverley and the others can be recorded in the other books. So far I have three of these books, and like the smaller ones, they too will be host to at least two and maybe even three books. I just write ideas in them, disorganized and random ideas. Things that crop up out of nowhere and I don't want to lose them in the mire of my mind.

    I will say that I've always been a note-taker. I have a file cabinet drawer full of notebooks, and composition books, literally crammed with thoughts and notes I've taken for this or that reason over the past 500 years of my life. Before paper, I had to make do with rocks, and let me just say it's incredibly difficult to carry those from place to place. Thank God for paper. Though I am keeping the title of my next book (a dramatic book) under tight lock and key, not revealing the title literally until it is published, I will use one of the larger books for it. It is not a Nick Posh book. It is not a romance book. It is a drama, but not like "Bay Sorrel Ranch", in that no characters are falling in love, marrying, going on vacation together, hoping for the best, and making things happen.

    The new book will have a working title of "The New Book" and I'll refer to it as that until I give it the actual title. It is an exploration and expose type book that will bring to light some of the more dramatic failures of our society; the people we intentionally avoid, and why so many people are in fact ignored by our government and by those who swore an oath to protect the very people they hurt daily. It will be sad, it will be hard, it will be factual. It will bring home a lot of hurt and sorrow that needs to be brought to light because quite frankly, it's been in the dark just too long - - without the disinfectant of true light. We all need to be made aware of just how raw the world is around us -- maybe we can still do something about it. 

    The book is good. There is hope. There is joy. There is happiness. There is reality, and there will be fictional situations that didn't really happen but could have happened, and maybe did happen somewhere that I'm not aware of, but for the most part, it is a book about love and what love actually means. I think it will be a very therapeutic book for me to write. I've been in some of the situations that I'll write about - - and my mind has been to other places through videos, television, movies, interviewing, reading materials, and research. Yes, this book needs to be written. I'll make that happen, and then I'll climb back in the saddle for the next Posh thriller -- and by climbing in the saddle, I mean yeah, it's a little foreshadowing of what the good detective himself does. Woot! (or Whoa...not sure which is best to say.) 


Photo Credit: Me

No comments: