Friday, December 1, 2023

Bay Sorrel Ranch (65% done) Getting Good.

     To be honest, it's already good, but I'm really loving the writing at this point. I know it's going to be around 86000 words, or 328-340 pages, like the other books. I may end up with about 90,000 on this one. I did the Math today. I have 12 more known chapters left and with an average of 2500 words in each, that's another 30,000 words. I have about 56,600 now, so yeah, I'm on track; but I could do another chapter easily. I'm in the middle of one of the stories and realize it's taking more than a chapter to finish. I may end up making that chapter longer, or what I could do...and I like this idea, is to tell 1/2 the story, do another two unrelated chapters, and then come back and finish the one I'm on now.

    What's really cool when you're writing is that you don't really always know what you're going to do or say.  You don't know what the characters will do or say. You don't always know if a new character will pop out of a freezer at 7-11 and ask something that causes the entire store to stop and stare at them wondering if they held the keys to the kingdom the entire time. WHO THE HELL is this person? It's sort of like that when you get into the writing.

    Since some of the characters are based on real people, I try to get their inner personalities into the conversations. Since some are not based on anyone, I can be a bit more loose, a bit less restrictive and I can really dig up whatever I want to dig up. I will go over the book with a little sarcasm soon, making jokes or cracking statements from one or the other of the characters so I can put the vibe I want into it. I have been far too nice so far. I know I have been. I'm trying to bring myself back to the original idea of making a few of the girls in the book rather nasty; not good kids. It's just that I am such a hopeful optimist in real life, I have a hard time saddling the kids in my books with such behavior and demeanor.

    Today, one of the boys tries to convince another girl that he impregnated a girl, and he says it to impress her. Now, at sixteen is that really something you want to use to impress someone you're interested in? Not really. The boy has social issues and it becomes obvious to a few people as the story progresses.

    Anyway, I'm now 65% done. I've outlined the next 12 chapters with the details and main points I want to say. When I do finish I won't be finished. I'm never done when the last words are written. I have to go back through it and keep fleshing it out, so that it not only makes more sense, but it also has more color, more spice, more flare, and in this book, more nasty meanness. 

    I say it all the time, the best thing about horse people is their dogs!! This book could use a good dog. I'll add that tomorrow.


Photo Credit: Me.  (This is a grey roan Mustang we almost bought.)

No comments: