Sunday, December 10, 2023

"1211" (Twelve-Eleven) Has Begun.

     Typically, I will take a few days off between writing books so I can both clear my head and exercise. I don't usually do much in terms of moving about or lifting weights since my fingers are clicking away on the keyboard and I tend to be sitting when I write. I do try to get in 15-20 minutes of walking twice a day, but hey, it's not that easy when you're working, writing, and all that - - tomorrow, I go back to work. Yikes.

    This time, because I do go back to work, I will have to write the book after I get off work, which will be around 5:00 p.m. I'll actually clock out at 4:30 but need to walk the dog, make something for dinner, and maybe take a shower to get ready for the evening. The evenings, right up to January 22, 2024, will be filled with writing my new book "1211".

    First, I'll explain why I'm writing up to January 22, 2024.  That seems quite specific you know, and it is. I will be paid that day, and it's a full paycheck after the first full paycheck. The first full paycheck will go to catching up on my bills; naturally. The 2nd full paycheck will be used for some bills, and some food, but I'm also purchasing a year-long access code to train and study Xactimate from Versk.com.  I would suggest any and all of you do the same if you want to earn more than the average employee. I won't go into it on this blog, but I will in another, I promise.

    The second I'm paid, I'll buy the year-long access key and begin studying Xactimate. It will take me between 4-8 weeks to get it all down, but I'll take 8-12 weeks so I can say I know it.  I'll take certification tests at that point for Levels 1, and 2 before I go back to writing. When I have mastered Level 2 of Xactimate, I will begin seeking either a higher position where I am currently working, because the new skillset will warrant it; or I'll seek work elsewhere. It's that simple.

    Why call my next novel by a number? Well, it's the address of a house I used to live in; a shared apartment complex. Some would say it's an apartment house I suppose. There were eight studio-type apartments in the place; four on top and four on the lower level.  My unit, I think it was E, but not sure, was on top.  We had some of the craziest things happen in that place. We had felonies committed, absolutely a few hefty misdemeanors that would border on felonies, and God only knows what was taking place behind a few of those closed doors.

    It will be my pleasure, as an author, to make up details and explore what exactly was going on behind those closed doors; including mine. I won't actually live in the building in my book, but a young girl right out of high school who attends college a few blocks away will be living in that unit; and what I saw, heard, experienced, and witnessed will be talked about for sure. The rest I'll gladly exaggerate to the point of nonsense, but that's what's going to be so much fun about writing this particular book. Yes, it's a murder thriller; it's a Nick Posh sequel to Pinball.

    The house is still standing, and there are people still living in it, so I won't give out the actual address, but I am keeping the 1211; I always loved saying it. Twelve-Eleven, not 1-2-1-1.  Twelve-Eleven as if you're counting backward, and in some ways that makes a lot of sense. I'll be sure to explain that in the book too.

    Who will we meet? Oh, there's Good Bill, Bad Bill, Mercedes, and of course the girl relating to me; her name is Celeste because she's so...you know, heavenly. We'll meet up with Mabel the landlord; a very nosey busybody who insists on everything being played by the rules...except there are no rules. We'll meet Kate, a business entrepreneur who can't keep a job, so she becomes an at-home bookkeeper for several companies, and there's the woman downstairs who people think is dressing as a man at times, but they don't know. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and rarely enters or exits the building. The last apartment is shared, which is odd because they are very very small. It is shared by a couple that tells everyone they are brother and sister, and that they are from Italy. They are not related.

    The whole thing takes place in or about 1930-1931 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Nick returns home with his wife and child to settle in for what looks to be a pretty steady gig working as a private investigator but paid almost exclusively by the City of Oklahoma City Police Department...but not 100% exclusively. He does work on the side; and that's where he meets Mercede's grandson, a local surgeon. If Mercedes is old enough to have a 38-year-old grandson, she's up there - - and she is. She has been living in the house since it was built in 1874, before that, she lived in a brothel downtown. (Her parents are from Germany, they didn't realize their young daughter ran away before the boat took off for Europe.) 

    You'll see. It's a good one. Good Bill isn't good, Bad Bill is flat bad, but the murdered man is somehow connected to just about everyone in the building. Could that be why they stay and Mabel insists on everything being played by the rules? Could be. I'm going to have fun writing this one for sure.

Photo Credit: TheOklahoman.com  (this is the Hefner Mansion, but the house in the book is similar.)



No comments: