Wednesday, December 13, 2023

1211 (Three is Written) Woot!!

     So, just so you know, I didn't write anything last night, opting to read from my Perry Mason book instead. I love my Kindle. I love Erle Stanley Gardner as well. I would read Perry Mason books all day and never complain; just another thing about me that you may have already guessed.  I do take inspiration from the man, I do take his words and recreate them. I don't use entire plots, but I will take a sentence or two and bend the structure, making it fit my needs from time to time. I did that tonight.

    In "1211" tonight, the death of a cop who had previously attempted to murder my hero in "Pinball" was all the talk, but no one could say anything officially; the official story of suicide hadn't hit the morning press. There's a reason it didn't make the morning news folks, but that's because it was scooped by our man Hanshaw, and he told the real story in the evening news with only minutes to spare before it went to press. Oh, the agony that one will cause!! Damn. A stunt like that can cost a man his job....or his life.

We'll have to see how the journalist fares and what will happen in the big City of Edinburgh before Nick takes off for the States to somewhat settle into his old home state of Oklahoma. His mother has been waiting for this day; she's really excited about it. Not only will she have her son home, but his wife, and their son!! She loves being a grandmother, and we find out soon enough she's been one in the past, but the boy she gave birth to as a young woman was adopted out from under her; she never really knew him. Their reunion will not be one of shared love; not by a long shot.

    The day will come when names and faces are put together, but for now, we'll need to focus on the antics of another set of off-the-wall types who share all the same walls. The residents of the apartment house at 1211 W. Garvey, in Oklahoma City. Words like "odd", "quirky" and "strange" start to describe them; but it would be unfair not to add words like "sinister", "deceptive" and "immoral" as well. Not all of the residents can be categorized or lumped together; some are quite different than others, but for certain, all of them are unique. 

    Tomorrow, and throughout the weekend, I'll have fun diving into their lives, exploring and exposing them for who and what they are. It may take a while to sort them out, but in the end, it will all make a bit more sense...at least I'll try to make it so. I promise. I don't think there will need to be a follow-up to the book, but there will be another Nick Posh thriller to follow; that's for sure. I have about ten of them planned now, and that's another two years from now really -- who knows what will or can happen in that amount of time? Anything really.


Photo Credit: Library of Congress 


No comments: