Monday, December 11, 2023

1211 (Two!) I Hope This Isn't How its Gonna Go.

     I'm working now, having started my new job today, so I'm only able to write after work and of course, I'll write over the weekends as well. I'll likely not write every evening, but I'll catch up on the weekends for sure. My goal is set, and when I actually set a goal, I do meet them. I can't remember a time when I didn't actually meet a goal that I intentionally set. There's that, but I do hope I don't find myself writing a chapter and then blogging about it -- that's a lot of blogging.

I started a new job today, one I will keep for a while, and then when it's time to move forward I will do so. I work normal hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to about 4:30 p.m. I was told today they aren't allowed to keep us past 4:30, so that was funny. I suppose they are rather strict about their overtime with this particular company. That's good. I need my writing time.

    I can start writing at about 5:30 and I'll write for an hour or so, getting at least one chapter a day written. That's a good goal. I won't stress that way. I'll just take one chapter at a time, and over the course of a month, I'll have a new book! Woot! Such a plan. This plan is a good plan, and I always say a good plan is good to have, but having a plan is essential. (My saying, you can quote me if you like.)

    I am also credited with saying "The world, when seen through the eyes of a child, is a rainbow." I think it was around 1988 when I came up with that one.  Anyway, I'll write this book right up to the deadline of January 22, 2024. On that day, Friday, the 22nd, I'll pay for the access code for the Versk version of studying Xactimate. I'll spend every last free hour I can studying that software program so that I can become really good at it. When I take the certification tests in March, I will try to do both Levels 1 and 2 at the same time, but I know I'll at least achieve Level 1.

    The book will be written quickly, but systematically. Today, I knew I would be writing Chapter Two, so I sat down and penned out what I wanted to do inside that chapter. I'm still pretty much catching the reader up from the last book, as this is a sequel to "Pinball".  I needed to explain a few characters, and what better way to do that than to let them speak and explore their own neighborhoods? This way the readers find out who they are, where they came from, what they intend to do in the next few chapters, etc.  It's my way, and it's my book, so there you go. 

    Today, the readers learned about the underground Chinese tunnels and the very secretive lives that hid themselves under Oklahoma City's downtown hustle and bustle. These 200-300 men and women, mostly men, huddled underground for protection, but it was also nearly free to do so. They came up to use the public toilets and showers; and they worked where they could, bringing food home to not only their own but for neighbors as well. It was a hard, harsh way to live, and many native Oklahomans didn't even know these tunnels or these immigrants existed. I wanted to bring a light to them; to show their strength and bravado. 

    Tomorrow? I don't know. I haven't thought about it. I may continue, picking up the story from Chapter One, or I may skip thoughts, and strike out on another rabbit chase, like I did today with Chapter Two. You just never know. Eventually, all the chapters will meld and flow together, making this a really fun and quirky book for the world to cherish. I like this book. I do, I liked it before I wrote a single word of it. I think it needs to be written - - it's fun, and it's odd, and it's really different. So yeah, "1211" will be a good book for anyone and everyone.  I'll keep you posted.


Photo Credit: OnlyInYourState.com

No comments: