Saturday, December 23, 2023

Experimenting in the Kitchen.

 If you know me, you know the characters in my novels often "experiment" with different feelings, actions, emotions, or whatever so they can feel and experience life on a new level. I can honestly tell you, that I often have one or more of my book people actually do or attempt to do what I really have done, or maybe what I think I want to do. That sort of experimenting is not limited to the kitchen; not for them, and not for me. The only limitation I have (and have had for 25 years) is that I don't have a partner to play with - - but I do in my head so I'm good. (He's really cute too. His name is Craig Allan Mackenzie, and he's about 500 years old. He's from up around Oban, Scotland, and he's..really...yeah, he's great.)

    Anyway, so here I am today, in reality, in my kitchen, thinking I want to do something in a very different way for the Christmas dinner table. I say that, but Laura and I haven't even set up our tree. We haven't hung garlands or any lights either. I did find a door hanger with bells and put that out for the cats, but they really don't care at this point. They probably never really cared, to be honest with you.

    I decided to try a "dump" cake, using 1/2 package of a basic white or yellow cake mix, poured over a canned fruit, with added butter and cinnamon, but this time I went with 1/2 can of pumpkin with 1/2 bar of cream cheese and an egg. We'll see if it works. I have no idea. It may, it may not, but what the heck, it's fun to try something new. Could be really cool. Could be a huge mess, but what do you want to bet I'll end up eating it anyway? I will.

    Craig absolutely loves it when I experiment. He heard from the ethereal grapevine that I was about to experiment, and always the keen and quick man for the job, he presented himself as he usually does; which is in the process of unwrapping his kilt, before removing it, folding it, and setting it to the side so we can experiment together. He wasn't upset that I had chosen the kitchen for my foreplay, but he was wondering if we would have room on the floor itself, or if up against the wall would be a better location for us to...stir and cream the mix before putting it into the oven.

    What I did was, (without Craig's assistance) was to empty the large can of pumpkin, 1/2 of it into my mixing bowl, and the other 1/2 into a container for refrigeration. There was no sense in using the entire can if my fantasy - - I mean, thoughts, weren't going to pan out the way I had hoped. Sometimes my mind can be really enthusiastic and I become so blinded by my pleasurable activities in my mind, that I forget that some things need to be put back to chill for a minute. No use in wasting anything - - waste not, want not.

    I added an egg to the bowl, and 1/2 a bar of cream cheese. I blended it together and placed it into a loaf pan. Loaf pans are about nine inches long. Some are glass, some are metal, and some are made of rubber or silicone. It's a preference thing; I like glass myself. (Easier to clean) After the mix is in the pan, you cut up slices of butter, maybe 8 pieces. You want to be sure and add enough butter to really slick things up and cover the entire surface of your...area.

    When you do that, you spice it up a bit!! Make sure it's level, spread out nicely, and then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon for that leather and lace effect. I don't know if you know about leather and lace effects in the kitchen, but they work the same there as they do in any room where you're "cooking" or otherwise pretending to. I may light a lilac and a lavender candle at the same time. I may add mango to my tomato salsa; you just need to play around with your options and find out what works best for you. When it comes to baking anything with pumpkin, I will add sugar and spice - - usually cinnamon, but I am not above defaulting to nutmeg - - I will go there.

    Finally, for the top, you dump the cake mix.  You just dump it right there, right in front of God and everyone. You don't have to dress it, but I will add more sugar and cinnamon and even a bit more butter if I think I may need to make it a bit more moist, that can be nice too. Again, preferences. It's all about preferences. 

    Heating it up is important of course. If you preheat - - you know, "fore" the oven temp up to the degree you want it, or where it should be; in this case 375 or 400, you'll find that working with the whole kit and kaboodle becomes easier to do. You're introducing your loaf into a very receptive range; one where all the bakers can be pleased. Time passes, things settle into place, and after about 30 minutes of it, a smile is brought to your face - - the deed is done.  It may take longer. You decide.

    Of course, it could be that it may need some time to cool before you plunge into it again - - think about it; don't burn yourself. That's never fun, and it would or possibly could mean bringing on an entirely different fantasy - - thought process; playing doctor can be fun too. 

    Enjoy your pumpkin dump cake. Oh, and Craig had a great idea, he suggested you throw in some nuts...just maybe a couple or so. 



Photo Credit: BlessThisMess.com




No comments: