Saturday, December 16, 2023

Turmeric and PolyPhenols Baby!! YEAH!

     So, if you know me, you know I love new ways (or old ways) of staying fit and healthy; I like feeling good. I go way out of my way to research methods and remedies that will help me either feel better, look better, be better, or seem better. I really don't mind researching and I really don't mind trying things as long as they aren't painful or expensive; which could be the same thing. 

    Lately, about the last week or so, I've been putting turmeric powder in my coffee, hot cocoa, and tea to see which drink I like it best in. I drink them all throughout the day, so I wanted to try them all.  Today, just for grins and giggles, I made a coffee, added cocoa, coconut oil, and turmeric to see how that tasted...and added a little vanilla coffee creamer. It was a "drink" rather than a coffee at that point.  It ended up being a spicy sort of drink that wasn't bad at all; in fact, I could market it, and probably make a lot of money.

    The bennies of using turmeric are not endless, but they are copious. I'll list a few. Adding (about a tablespoon throughout the day, dividing it into things) helps with:

  • Inflammation - arthritis
  • Digestion 
  • Respiratory infections
  • Allergies
  • Liver disease
  • Depression / Anxiety
  •  Antioxidants
  • Prevention of certain cancers
  • Weight loss
It's the last one that I want to see the result of; weight loss. It's supposed to help dissolve belly fat (fat burner/metabolism booster). We'll see if it works. 
    I'm also adding coconut oil for the MCT benefits which include helping with:
  • Weight Loss
  • Improved movement /joint lubricant
  • Prevent some symptoms of diabetes
  • Assists with improving autism/ADHD
  • Regulates blood sugar
This is too cool. Coconut oil is the only MCT I can use. They do have the powder type you can buy and add to things, but it knocked me to the ground. It was way too strong for my body. You have to be a bit more careful with it - - always consult your doctor, I did not.

So, What are polyphenols and why are they so healthy? Wow, this was something I already knew but didn't do too much about it. It's as simple as using good olive oil when I cook, but I can also just take a teaspoon of good strong extra virgin olive oil with 500-750 mg of polyphenols every day. Don't think all oils are the same. Cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil is the best one I've found, and you don't have to spend $$ on it either. I think my 16 oz bottle was $11.  Good stuff. I have another bottle that I use to cook with, but it's like a 32 oz bottle; not as easy to handle when I'm trying to pour it onto a spoon.
    Here are some of the bennies of eating or cooking with oils that have a lot of polyphenols.
  • Lower LDL cholesterol
  • Reduces high blood press
  • Decreases blood clotting
  • Reduces some skin cancers
  • Weight loss
  • Digestion assistance
  • Helps with constipation
  • Strong antioxidant
  • Smooth skin (from the inside out)
So, you can see that adding these things can be both beneficial and not that expensive. You can do it every day, several times a day, but again, always consult your doctor because you don't want to start a program he or she would say isn't right for you. My doctor is excited about me doing it, because she is a health-junkie too. She's vegan, I'm not, but we agree on a lot of other stuff. 
    When it comes to weight loss, it's really the number one thing on my mind for my health because I've been unable to lose my belly fat; it's sitting behind my organs, and won't come out to be eliminated. I'm not wanting to get surgery to remove it, but I need it gone. My belly is extended and I don't like it. I feel fat - - when I'm really sort of normal. I would rather be thinner and stronger. That's the goal.
    Weightwise, I could lose 30-40 pounds. I know I could. I've been working on it for years. This may be the key. I don't know. I did the whole Keto thing, I can't sustain it. I've been to the gym and all that. I'm 100% sure it's a hormone issue, so taking the probiotics and natural foods I need to rebalance the hormones is the best way to go for me.
    Another really good thing to do is to eat foods rich in probiotics rather than taking them as supplements. I find that I can't go wrong when I add apple cider vinegar to the mix; which is very good for me. I love pickles, I love kombucha, but again, we didn't know how great these things were until more recently. They have been a staple in the Asian markets and in their cuisine, but we Americans are just sort of now catching on to it - - we're a bit late to the party, but I'm willing to stay and dance. Here are a few things you can add to your grocery cart next time. (They are different and may take some getting used to, but they are worth it.)
  • Kefir (fermented milk) 
  • Greek yogurt 
  • Cultured cottage cheese
  • Kimchi 
  • Sauerkraut (love this stuff)
  • Kombucha 
  • Aged cheese, but only certain ones (not pasteurized). Try Swiss, Gouda, Edam, Gruyere, and raw Cheddar
  • Miso (a paste sort of food with soy and rice) May have to go to an Asian market to get it.  I put it in burritos instead of beans.
  • Fermented olives. 
  • Dill pickles (be sure they are actually fermented, not the typical)
Do your research! You may like some of the seafood that I don't prefer. Fermented seaweed is not something I'm going to rush out to buy, but you may love it.

    That's it. That's my thing right now. I'm dieting, exercising, working, writing, studying, thinking, and just waiting on Jesus to come pick me up so I don't have to do all these things to be healthy and gorgeous, because once that trumpet sounds I'm gonna get the body I really want, and the health to live eternally!! Woot!!!

Photo Credit: Everydayhealth.com


No comments: