Friday, August 18, 2023

It's the Little Things That Make Me Sing.

 I don't know if everyone knows, but I'll go ahead and mention it; I'm unemployed at the moment. I'm not one of those proud people who can't tell anyone they aren't working. In fact, it's quite the opposite. When I'm not employed I tend to use the time wisely enough by producing works of writing. When I was unemployed last year I wrote a book in just under a full month. I published it and started a new job, then due to the ever-increasing unethical behavior of many of the people who own their own businesses, I was released when I refused to hide money. Well, there you go - - unemployed. 

    Because it was in the middle of spring, I decided I would change gears and do something really cool. I decided to learn how to become a Claims Adjuster. I mean, I already had the license, I may as well use it, right? So, I began studying, and before long I was engrossed in not one, not two, not even three, but about eight different companies that all wanted me to train under them so that they could eventually hire me, deploy me, send me out to do work for their carriers (insurance companies who pay them). Well, training takes time. I decided to file for unemployment, hunker down, and just sail through summer without going anywhere, or buying anything, and so far it's been working! YEA!

    I did get around to writing another book too; and then after that was a success, I decided to put a second blog book together. I had already written the blogs, I just needed to format, add photos, make a cover, and BAM!  Another book!! Oh, but wait, there is MORE...yes, more.  I wrote a poetry book 17 years ago, or rather I wrote many poems and stuck them together 17 years ago, and I'm re-doing that project now as well. I'm adding about 30-40 more poems to it, and I'm changing the name, the cover, you name it, it's all being changed. It will be up in about two weeks.

    When you're on unemployment the other side, your employer, has the opportunity to appeal the decision of the state to pay you. He/she/they shouldn't do that, it's not fair, and it only shows the world how very ugly and unwilling you are; but he did it. He appealed and I was supposed to have a hearing on the matter last month. Well, I had the right to ask for a continuance, so I did. Booyah!  Then, the state was super awesome and decided to postpone our hearing until right up to the minute (a few weeks) from when I will no longer have unemployment. It's a moot point for him, but one I really was very happy to see NOT come to fruition. God is too great.

    I was literally in the closet praying about it because I know I didn't do anything wrong. I hate it when I'm 100% correct or right, and someone gets the upper hand just because they have money or status. It's not right. Well, there I was praying, and the phone rang. It was the appeals court, and the clerk was telling me at 2:05 p.m. that the employer did not register by the 2:00 p.m. deadline, so the point was in fact moot - very moot. I win. God wins!! I don't win. I am blessed to be receiving whatever they pay me so I can pay my bills, study, wait to be hired by the right company, and yes, I have time to edit my new murder mystery too! God is so very very awesome.  That employer needs to realize that he was never in control of me, I won't lie for him or anyone else, even if it means I lose my job. (It's not the first time.) He also needs to realize that he pissed me off, and I killed him off in the next novel. It happens. 

    The way a deployment works is simple; first, we wait on a catastrophic event to take place, and when it does the Independent Adjuster firms call us, we are the independent adjusters who are on their standby rosters. They tell us there is an event, we choose if we want to go, and we work the claims literally 7 days a week, and often 10-12 hours a day. We are paid well, but we are not writing, and we are not studying, we are working. Deployments can last from three to twenty weeks, and sometimes they go longer. The claims aren't always settled immediately, so you can come back years later and clean up some of the claims that never got settled.

    As a newbie without experience, this is my first waiting period and I'm pretty sure I'll be picked up soon. Today alone I was contacted by four of the 1238 companies I am registered with. I think I'm really registered with 17 but I thought 1238 looked good for dramatic reasons.  I'm sitting here with my 10 state licenses, and my CCC One training, my Auto Certificate from State Farm, and I'm ready to hit it...by hit it, I mean I will be deployed literally from my desk at home, but I'll be closing the door so my daughter doesn't come in and tempt me with her nonsense - - too often.

    It's the little things that I take to God. He makes them work out in His time, but I have the promise that He will.  I will be hired. I will be hired soon. If you understand the word "soon" you'll know that it means I'll be hired when it's time. I'd say "wish me luck" but I don't do luck, nope. I pray.

Photo Credit: Emotions Mentor


No comments: