Monday, August 28, 2023

Edinburgh (The Book) Revamped. ALREADY!!

     So, I wrote these really cool sex scenes for the book, and as I read them back to myself today I realized that I didn't really want my book to be that smutty. Sorry. I didn't want to use words that were associated with raw or lustful sex, because I wanted the characters to show that they had feelings and emotional attachments, and then there was this whole over-the-top dom/sub thing that was getting out of hand really, so I nipped it in the bud. Yes, you can do that when you're the author. 

    I remember years ago I bought the novel "A Star is Born" and I read it, but when I did my eyes were just sweating from some of the things they said! I really had no idea that the publishers were even allowed to print that sort of thing. I literally took a black Sharpie and censored my own purchased copy. I didn't want it in the house with those words. Well, I sort of felt the same way after I wrote the steamy scene in "Of Kilted Pleasure" too. I left one rather erotic scene in it; but I did take out at least one before sending it to the printer. I'm a prude I guess; that, or I'm just not into smut.

    The girls and I will write out erotica stories and little tales for a good Pyrate Nite, but we don't read them out loud if a man is present. It's a rule. I decided that for the purposes of my book, the Pyrate Nite the ladies plan will be more about the planning, and the things they like to do rather than the things they like to say. I don't drink, so when I add wine or beer (or anything stronger) to the characters in my books I really have to think about it; I don't get drunk, so I don't want them to. I know that sounds incredibly restrictive as an author doesn't it?

    I may have someone get tipsy and show that they are feeling good, but I think it's important to mention the loss of control as well; or the fact that consuming alcohol can make a person do or say stupid things; things they may regret when the affects of the drinks wear off. Part of me wishes I wasn't this way, but the other part says it's a good way to be, so I just go with it. I know right from wrong. I don't have to question whether or not it's a good thing to write or have my characters participate in. I decided to tone it down. 

    I'm at 56%, having only changed things today, and making a few tweaks here and there. I'll pick it up tomorrow and get more done. I have to start on the new adventures of Nikki Doukas tomorrow. She'll be a rather prominent character and when she and her new beau do drink; they will not be irresponsible. All of the characters have a drink now and then; no one is opposed to being social, It's just that I won't have a falling-down drunk character in one of my books unless I show him or her being in need of help; and then they get that help. Someone else can write otherwise I suppose. I'm going to write what I'm going to write. 

    That's all for today. I wanted to say that I didn't do much in the way of writing, but I did do a bit in the way of formatting and reorganizing. I had a bear of a time with these random square symbols that just decided to show up in my document. I had to Google how to remove them, and after 3 videos I finally found the solution. Dang!! Seriously...dang!! I had somehow added a weird border that had to be removed. If that ever happens to you, you'll know the frustration. 

Geez!

Photo Credit: Unknown

No comments: