Sunday, August 20, 2023

Edinburgh. (A Romance Novel)

 One of the best things about being a writer is that I don't have to write anything in particular, and I am not tied by any contracts (at this time) to produce a specific genre, a particular project, etc. I can be, and I am, free to write whatever the heck I want or choose to write. I love that. I have decided to write another novel, but this one is a one-off, it's not in a series of any kind. It's just a book about a woman who decides to do a DNA test, she realizes she's more Scottish than she thought she was, and she makes up her mind to retrace a bit of old history that her grandparents had tried to cover up; maybe a murder.  She goes back to Scotland to find out that it was true, and she tries to be as unbiased about the situation as possible. 

    Finding her roots is of course interesting; and realizing she's up for the task makes it that much more inviting. Having traveled a bit, she knows the ropes when it comes to not looking like a tourist; immersing herself into the culture leads to more than she bargained for; could it be love? Oh my! It very well could be. Who knew? (Just about everyone who ever penned a romantic novel, that's who.)

    Well, I came across the project quite organically, I will say that. I was going over my book covers to be sure I had used only royalty-free images when I realized that I could click the radio button allowing ONLY free content; such is my life. I do things a bit backward at times. I did use the appropriate cover, so I felt good about that. I had to redo a more recent one; this is what led me to check on the eight or nine others I've created. I was a member of Adobe Stock when I downloaded them, so whew! Dodged that one!!

    Anyway, I found a few pictures of Edinburgh that I thought for sure would be in the PRO or paid category, but they were not! There are actually free pictures of my beloved adopted city, and I decided to make a fun book cover just for the heck of it. When I did, I also realized that I LOVED the idea of writing a more modern book rather than the 18th-century series that I have started. I don't have to keep it up or add to it, this can be a book I just crank out for the fun of it, and make all the glamourous mistakes I would make if I decided to do some of the same things my character does. She'll be younger than me, but she'll be just as adventurous and as off-putting at times. She'll find herself in a hole she's created for herself. We'll see how creative she can be; how resourceful.

    To honor both my heritage and my fantasies, I will of course, include a bearded half-wild guitarist who makes his living on the streets through playing festivals, small venues, anything he can get away with since he's also collecting universal credits from the government. He's not necessarily into physical labor; it takes away from his creative mind. Where most people simply shake their heads at the man, Elyn Fletcher can't seem to shake the man from her head or her heart. She realizes there's very little chance for them to become anything more than what they are, but her mind is an entirely different playground.

    "Edinburgh" will obviously take place in the capital city of Scotland, and though there will be sex, mayhem, and mystery to cling to, there will be a good dose of history, tradition, and innuendo as well. I think it will be a good book. If not it will at least be fun for me to write and then read 10 times. If I'm the only one who ever buys my own books I'm not upset about it. I like the process!!  Having said all that, I think I may need to find a few people over in my fair city to allow me the opportunity to come to Edinburgh to research and write the finer details of my book - - what do you think? A plan? (I'll write it long before that, but who knows, maybe they'll let me come over to do the film adaptation!)

Woo Hoo!! I'm off to the Lowlands - - if only in my mind; but believe me when I tell you, that my mind can be far far far more fun than the actual reality!! (I have to go now, I think I hear a man strumming something rather low and sultry, just beyond the Cowgate. Oh...and he hasn't shaved in a few days. I'll be here a while. Goodnight.)



No comments: