Sunday, August 27, 2023

Edinburgh (The Book) HALF WAY THERE!!

         Technically, if I aim to write 86,000 words for the romance novel, I am over 50% completed. I have just under 48,000 words written so that's closer to 55% finished. Woot!! I could say that I'm making a dent in it, but I feel as if the halfway mark is real and I'm on the way out of the novel at this point. I have so much more to write too. I have the Pyrate Night, I have to write about Nikki's departure from her roost near Austin to come live in Elyn's neck of the woods. In doing that I'll introduce Emilo, Nikki's lover, and I'll need to throw in at least one good recipe. I'm thinking biscuits and gravy, and it will be something Elyn makes for her bedfellow Arran. He'll like that; he's into new things...he's into food. 

    Thus far, Elyn has been in Edinburgh for about a month or so. Christmas is coming, and that's when she and Arran find out some of the vast differences between family in America and family in Britain. She's able to set herself free and experience life as she sees fit, but he's tied with a bit of compulsory tradition which he can't shake or let go of long enough to really enjoy the holidays.  He wishes he could; perhaps Elyn will be his lighthouse. This could lead to more metaphors and innuendo, so I'm not going to say too much, but there may be more than the stockings being hung by the chimney, and it may be more than visions of something sweet dancing. Do you believe in Santa Claus? It may make a difference. 

    Tomorrow marks the full week of writing this particular book. I began writing on Tuesday 8/22 after doing the cover on 8/21. At this rate, I should be finished by next Sunday. If I am, I will use Labor Day to read through the manuscript to make changes and find mistakes. I'll then set it up to be sent off. That's when Ingram sends it back to me for review and approval. I will have another shot at changing it and making corrections. I'll try to do all the things necessary before I format it. I hate making corrections that could change the interior layout. It can be a real hassle. 

    We'll see how it goes - - today was all about romance..well, sex, but there was romance in there too. If you think writing about two people being intimate is easy, you should just sit yourself down and try doing it. It is not that cut and dry. There are means, ways, methods, personalities, sounds, sights...there are too many things to include, that's for sure. I took to reading some excerpts from books online just so I could get a feel of where to start and how to finish the event(s) without understating the purpose of the scene, and without over-communicating. The characters deserve a bit of privacy in most cases.

    That's about it. I'll not write another sex scene for another 4 chapters. That will or should be about Tuesday. We'll see how it all works out. This book will have 5 or 6 good steamy scenes in it; some real, some imaginary. It's a good book and one that while you can't take it to work with you, could be gifted to someone you think about cooking with or someone you think could use a little tinsel hanging  -- too much? OK...bye!!



Photo Credit: Ellis Tuesday

No comments: