Wednesday, August 16, 2023

American Confidence!

 We Americans have it so easy, don't we? We're expected by so many, to have the confidence of 10 "normal" people. (What's not normal about being sure of yourself?)  We walk through things like it's nothing. We approach matters with our heads up, staring adversity straight in the eyes! Well, some of us do, I suppose, but the thing is, we've been forced to be so edgy folks; we have to deal with pulling into, pulling out of, walking around, walking through, and surviving all these gas stations! Hell, those places will find a way to kill you if you're not on your A-game the entire time!! This doesn't take place in the UK or other places; we are dodging cars, trucks, people, tankers, workers, and others...we're apt to wrangle someone into making a competitive sports game out of it. (We'd win)

    We do have confidence I suppose. I know I do. I was born with a healthy amount of it, and I got it from both my dad and my mom. Dad never said a word about his plans, but he always got things done. Mom made things very clear as to what she wanted and how it would be carried out; it was always carried out. I don't think I ever had a day in my life when goals weren't set and goals weren't met. That's how you do it. That's what's behind all this expected bravado! We just do what needs to be done, and when times get tough, we hunker, we don't quit or give in to the pressure. Why would we? 

    When I was in the UK, specifically in Scotland, I would walk into a cafe and notice that there wasn't a sign asking me to wait at the front. I usually did anyway, long enough to get the attention of the wait staff, I'd nod, and then take a seat. I wanted them to know I was there so I could be served. I wasn't trying to be rude, mean, or demanding. No, we're more commanding if anything; there is a difference. I didn't want to be there 15 minutes before someone noticed I hadn't ordered. It never failed, I got waited on immediately.  I also told them when I ordered that I'd be ready for my check about 10 minutes after I got my food, or they could leave it at the same time they dropped the food off; that just makes it easier. Again, I don't have to wait for them to get around to finding me. I had a waiter go home once and I didn't get my check for about 45 minutes. That's not service. That's carelessness.

    I am often asked by my Scottish friends (and those who stare blankly at me while I'm there) if I consider myself arrogant because I ask pointed questions, or because I stand under the shelter at the bus stop when the queue is clearly outside of it. No, I'm not being arrogant, I don't want to be wet. There is enough space for EVERYONE really, and we know who was there first. We can wait to board the bus. I'm just not into being rained on if I don't need to be. I rarely carry an umbrella. Maybe I should, but it gets in the way, and they'd think me much more than arrogant if I used it as a weapon in times of necessity. 

    No, I'm about the least arrogant person I know; I do know who I am though. I know my limits. I know my likes. I know my dislikes. I also know what I'm capable of doing or saying. Being self-aware (and even self-approved) doesn't make a person arrogant; it's rewarding to know that I like the company I keep when I'm alone. I can get into the best of moods when I'm with me. I can often be found talking to myself for that very reason; I agree with myself more often than I don't, but when I don't, I simply blame my English blood, and I declare independence and move forward. I have been known to put myself in my place!

    It has been ingrained in me to do what I believe is right and to do what I know I can achieve. I do ask for help. I am also there to help others, and they don't even have to ask most of the time. I see they need something, so I volunteer. That often makes them think I'm purposely butting in; well, maybe you needed that! Maybe you weren't making it and it was so very damned obvious, so yeah, I stepped up and there you have it; you're welcome.  It's not rude, it's not overbearing. It's me being there to assist and if you need me to, I'll drag your ass where it is you need to go. Again, you're welcome. It's it better to say thank you than to think the person who has your back is trying to gain from it? I don't need anything. I have Jesus.

    So yeah, next time you're in the UK, or anywhere in Europe really, or in Scandinavia, I hear it's just as likely to happen there as well, and you see someone waving at you for no reason whatsoever....just nod, say hello, and maybe wonder to yourself which college football team they root for because it's very likely that if someone waved at you and spoke to you in those places that person is from my home country. I'd even venture to guess that person is from the South, rather than the North. Go ahead, play the card you're dealt! Ask!  Ask them if they watch college football, and who their favorite team is. If they look you in the eyes and smile, then come back with "Boomer Sooner!" you'll know you're in good good company, and if there's a tornado in the sky, you'll be safe as long as you're with that person.

Just sayin'.

    

Photo Credit: Mark Ingram


No comments: