Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Edinburgh (The Book) Last Leg.

 I am now 66% done with the book. You can look at it a couple of ways. I have written 20 of the probable 30 chapters, and I have also written about 56,000 of the 84,000 words. I don't think I'll hit 86,000, but if I do I'll still probably finish by Sunday.

I have 10 chapters to write and will be doing that over the next 5 days. This is Tuesday. Tomorrow on Wednesday I have 2 or possibly 3 to write, and then 2 or 3 on Thursday, and the same on Friday. I will pick up whatever slack is needed over the weekend so that by Sunday night, the 3rd, I'll have finished the book. I started on the 22nd, so that will be an 11-day writing spree - unless I'm miscalculating and it could be 12. Whatever, it was (is) fun and I'm probably never going to it again. I thought writing "Of Kilted Pleasure" in a month was something, and it was. I hadn't done it before. I think I'll let this be my shortest period of time because it's really hard to focus and make yourself be creative when you're under a heavy self-imposed deadline. In reality, there is no deadline...I'm just being weird.

    I'll take Monday to read it, go through it to see if I have all the spacing correct, and see if I have any red or blue lines in the manuscript that need to be addressed. I'll check the sizes and the fonts. I'll see if it looks good enough to format, and then I'll format it on Tuesday, so I'll know how to redesign the cover. I made the cover but by absolute mistake boo-boo time, I made it a 5x8 book, when it needed to be a 6x9 book. I decided that the murder books would be 5x8 and the romances would be 6x9. I don't know why. I can change that anything I choose, but I decided it, so there you go.

    The 5x8 is my favorite size of book to read if I'm going to read one, but I use my Kindle now so I really don't care what size a book is. I will eventually have all of my books on eBook format and I'll have them produced by Ingram Spark to sell on Amazon for something like $8.00 or so. I hope I can do it for even less. I want to. It's not really up to me. It depends on the size of the file I think; I could be completely blowing smoke; but I think I have little choice. I know I have little choice in the print books. That much I do actually know. If I can charge less on the eBooks I really will do that. I like buying $4.99 books for my Kindle. I think it's really awesome. 

    The novels don't have pictures so they don't cost as much as books that do have photos in them. However, my new Blog Book 2 has a bunch of photos and they're only charging $18 for it, so maybe they don't charge that much for those that have B/W photos. I made all the photos Black and White for that book. The original Blog Book has colored photos. I think it's slightly higher. I don't remember. I just want to write. I don't keep up with the costs. I want them all to be affordable. That's my goal.

    So, tomorrow I write about Nikki meeting Emilio, their whirlwind romance, and/or decisions they will make about their future. I'll write about Elyn's past, her childhood haunts and wishes; which will include her friend, Robyn, as she and Robyn grew up together. I'll talk about those who seem to be rooted and those who seem to have either cut their roots or allowed them to become unearthed. This is the reality and truth for some and it certainly is for me as a real person, so it will be reflected in the life of my character Elyn, who often takes on my personal traits.  

    After she decides to move forward I'll show her creating a new life for herself in Scotland where she'll use the Foreign Exchange market to substantially create a needed nest egg for herself, and she'll be in a position to be the anchor that her new lover Arran needs and deserves to have as well. He'll appreciate it, and there will be an entire chapter devoted to appreciation of oneself and of the ones they love. Such a cool thing.

    A few chapters later she'll find the answers to some questions that bothered her as a young adult, but that can be buried and safely locked away without hurting anyone in the process; which is often what happens when secrets creep to the surface. Family can be really really good and it can be really really sad too; she learns this. We all know this to be true; nothing is tidy and nothing is expected to be. We are humans living with humans, and we all create our own havoc along the way. Sometimes it's best to keep things locked up and other times it's best to set it free.

    In the end, we'll see that love wins. Isn't that the way all good romance books should end? I think so. 

Photo Credit: Unknown

No comments: