Friday, August 11, 2023

Bad Eggs!!

 I interviewed last Friday with the General Manager of a collision repair company. It's a really good and reputable company; I don't know if that particular location is any good though.  From the way they handle their business with potential employees, I'm not that sure I (a) want to work with them, (b) would even want to be associated with them, and (c) since I know the company is great, I'll be inclined to talk with corporate as soon as possible. 

    When I first applied for the position I was sent an email or text asking me if I was available on this or that day and they sent me to a certain location. I arrived at the location early, as I am always early. The G.M. was busy, but he acknowledged me. I took a seat in the lobby to wait. While I waited I noticed the office chair was broken, I also saw a few employees just hanging around in the back while there were customers out front who hadn't been helped. Granted, the workers were younger, so they don't have the same customer service training as the older workers may have. It seemed the younger people were apt to avoid eye contact, as well as making themselves available to the customers. Two customers decided to leave.

    When I did speak with the G.M. I let him know that there were two customers that left after seeing the "kids" standing around. (Their words)  I understand their frustration. You drive a car, and it needs to be repaired, but the workers just don't seem all that interested to help. Yeah, you're going to leave. I stuck around because I wanted to find out more about the job. It's OK, it's nothing to write about really, but it will do until something better comes along; which is, sadly the way everything works these days, isn't it? No loyalty; and partly because we're not shown loyalty in the first place.

   The interview went well, and I was promised a call back on Tuesday. When it didn't happen I called. I left two messages. I called a third time and one of the lazy workers decided to get around to saying that the G.M. was on vacation and wouldn't be back for two more days. It could have been mentioned about 8 hours prior to the time it was mentioned. Then, on Thursday, again, after calling twice, the G.M. was never available.  Wow.  He did finally call me late in the afternoon on Thursday to say he had another interview to go through on Friday at 1:00 p.m. and he would call me after that. Well, yeah, he didn't.

    Today, Friday, after about 2:15 p.m. and then at 3:15 p.m. and again at 4:15 p.m. I called, and you know what, I don't think he ever got my previous messages. The young receptionist at the desk just isn't into doing her job. That's OK, I'm on LinkedIn with her corporate office, and I'll be sure to let them know! I'm really good at that. Not only that, I had two friends ready to take their car in for repairs the second I get hired, so that's about $7000 in their pockets just for giving me the nod. I let the receptionist know that as well, but you know she never gave a damn. She didn't give the message to the G.M. and he left for the day about an hour before closing time. OK, well, there are SO many other companies that do what they do. I will simply apply at them, but I will MOST CERTAINLY let corporate know because we don't need slackers in the city of ours! No, we need to be completely ready to help our fine citizens.

    I can't believe the laziness, the wanton attitudes, the rudeness, and the lack of empathy for people. It's just astounding to me that the G.M., being a good man, and I know he is one, would put up with the crap right in front of him! First, yeah, fix the damn chair, it's the first thing new customers see; change that, and change the staff. Hire people who want to work. Hire people who smile. Hire people who care about the position and the mission. If this is your ship, run it well. I could end up being the G.M. actually, maybe that will happen, and if it does I'll be sure and hire people who are willing and ready to put in a good effort. No one with a poor work ethic needs to apply; I'll see you coming a mile away. 

Photo Credit: GRA Benefits Group

No comments: