Monday, July 17, 2023

Options. I Have Them.

 I wrote this blog earlier, but when I re-read it I think I may have come across as either being rude or arrogant. I didn't mean to; it just sort of came out that way. I wanted to say how grateful I am that I have options, but I didn't mention the word "grateful" so people would have thought I was just saying how wonderful it is; rather than understanding that I really am very appreciative of having those/these options.

    I'm not working right now. I've taken off the time I need to hunker down and study all I can about being and becoming a full-time Claims Adjuster either for Auto or Property, and who knows, maybe both.  I'm not one to climb a roof, so any field work is out of the question where property is concerned, but I will do what I can from the comfort of my home in my jammies and on my computer.  It's a tough life; I know.

    Claims Adjusters are the unsung heroes who come along and help folks get their lives back after a collision, comprehensive loss, or catastrophe. We are the silver lining if you will.  Learning the trade has not been easy, but it has been fun, challenging, and interesting. I've been in insurance for years; reviewing, selling, investigating, etc. Now, I'm going to be estimating damage, authorizing settlements, and being the white-hat good-gal for a while. If I need to review, examine, and otherwise support for a while, I can do that too. It's a process.

    Because I'm licensed in my home state of Oklahoma, and in 9 other states to be a Claims Adjuster, I will not have a difficult time finding employment once the CAT season starts. Once it starts, once I'm hired, I'll be trained, and there will be no living me after that folks; I will be valued. With the experiences, skillsets, knowledge, and licenses I have today I can start at a salary higher than what I have ever made in the past. It's true. One of the best-kept secrets in the industry is the compensation that Independent Claims Adjusters make. It's upward of $100K annually, and that's below average. I'll settle for average until I am fully trained.

    The hours are long; the work is steady. There will be times that I will want to chuck it all and go back to a regular day job, I'm sure. The thing that I will use to keep me focused is my goals board. I have a goals board with a few photos on it to keep me focused to the point that I won't stop until they are all accomplished. Having options is so good. It means I don't have to accept a job just to pay the bills. It means I don't have to put up with office politics, drama, bullying, baby showers and retirement parties. It means I don't have to be there when the boss says I need to be there because I work for myself. I am the boss.  By the way, I get there pretty early and I stay really late because I push myself. 

    Having options means I can study when I need to. I can take off work and go on a vacation. I can choose to work 20-30 hours overtime if I don't want to go home or take a vacation. I can pull in the money for a project, and then pay for it faster. I can pet the dog in the middle of a Zoom call.  I don't have to pretend someone's kid is adorable or listen to what someone else is planning to do over the holidays. Last year I wanted to choke myself every time one of the 7 other women in the room talked about who was assigned what dish and how much freakin' drama it would cause if that person decided to bring the "bad" casserole. I wanted to puke!

    My best friend says she'd die if she had to stay home and work. I won't go back to the office. I like my freedom, the coffee is so much better at my house, and I don't wear silly makeup, I don't do my hair, I don't even wear shoes! I do wear socks. I will say that. I do put the socks on my feet. I roll out of bed, walk the dog, make coffee, pray, write in my journal, sign on, and work. I don't have to check to see if someone has turned on the TV. I don't have to check to see if someone is messing with the thermostat. I don't have to worry about getting there before the boss, or parking in someone's spot. I don't have to give a damn if my boss is in a pissy mood or if someone thinks I ate their lunch. (I don't, I never do)

    Being old has its benefits too. I was just made aware that I can start collecting my Social Security benefits in November. I can file in August. Woot!! I'm going to go ahead and do it now so I can invest every month; I figure I can do a better job investing than the government ever could. I'll Forex my money every month and add to it. I didn't realize it until today, but it's actually enough money for me to live on since I don't live outside my means. I have even more options now!!  If I wanted to, I could just sit at home and write.  WOOT!!  I think next time someone calls me and asks me to consider a job that is not only less pay than I deserve but also less enjoyable, I think I'll just say "No thank you, I'm good."  It's taken a long time to get here, but I'm here.


Photo Credit: Basmo.com

No comments: