Thursday, March 30, 2023

Talk About BOO-BOOs!!

 OMG...sometimes you just make the biggest and most idiotic mistakes in the world, and NO ONE calls you out on it. I mean, I just about made one of these types of unforgivable flub-ups but thank you, Sir. Walter Scott, for coming to my rescue! (Scott and Byron were close friends and I realized that before the last edit) No, seriously, I must have been on the wrong plane and going up the downstairs escalator a few too many times because in my new book "Of Kilted Pleasure" I literally (and this may or may not mean much to you) credited the writing of "Paradise Lost" to Lord Byron, who by the way, wasn't born for another two centuries!!  Nothing to see here folks, just a moron doing moronic things!!  I've read John Milton's "Paradise Lost" and I know who Lord Byron is; but why I would have written the author incorrectly in my own book is...well, it's stupid! That's what it is. 

    There I am, or was, writing the book, and I went through at least 12 readings and missed it every single time. I don't know why. I don't have a clue as to why I would have listed Lord Byron as the author, to begin with, but NOT ONE of the people I had read the book for me pointed out my mistake. No one said, "Hey Jude, you do realize that Lord Byron was about, I don't know, negative 200+ years old when that book came out".  Let's do the math. Paradise Lost was written in 1667 and Lord Byron, born George Gordon Byron, was born in 1788, so well, OK, it's not 200 years, but it's not him!!  He wrote "Jane Eyre", "Don Juan DeMarco", and other things. He wrote "The Vampyr: A Soap Opera" which I only started in the 9th grade and never finished. I need to do that.  Geez, I'm a dork.

    I guess I could just say I'm normal, but these are the types of mistakes I make. I rock along really well, and then BAM! I threw the entire world into a tailspin without so much as even really thinking about it. When I was writing the part of the book where I mention the books and authors I couldn't decide which one I wanted the lady to read. Then I realized that she was in 1731 and Byron wasn't born until 1788 so it couldn't be his work. I changed the title of the book to something that was written earlier, but forgot to take out the author's name! OMG!

    I quickly sent off an email to the lady who makes those corrections and she has been so gracious and kind not to charge me. I would have had to pay for it, and I would have paid for it. That sort of thing can't happen. Here I am claiming to be an avid reader with my Master's in Writing and English and I do that. I would have given myself a mark for sure had I turned in an essay with that sort of boo-boo. We all make mistakes, but mine do tend to be whoopers!! This is the reason, the one reason, the best reason, why I try harder than most to make fewer mistakes. I can out mistake just about anyone when I don't try to. 

    I feel better now.  I'm working on the cover and it's about to be done. Laura helped me with it. We sent it in for final approval, and we will find out if it is done or not. I hope it is. She did a great job. The one posted here is without the extra added fog at the bottom, to make it more romantic and mysterious, but you'll get the picture. The book comes out in May I think. It will be online at Amazon and with Kindle for $6.99 I think, or $7.99.  Then the paperback will be about $18.99 or so with discounts. I'm not sure I'm even doing a hardcover. There may be one available online, but I'm not ordering any to give out. I think romance books should be paperbacks....or now, Kindle. LOVE my Kindle. Don't get me started.

    Thank you, Kaye. Thank you, Laura.



1 comment:

jstringfellow said...

The photo was the closest I could find that sort of matched the "Ruins" in the book. I wish there were more photos of the type of structure I wrote about, but alas, there is not. This will do.