Saturday, March 4, 2023

ONE MORE TIME....I MEAN IT.

 It's Saturday, so I have a bit more time to blog. I'm about to go back into the throws of reading "Of Kilted Pleasure" one more time. I can honestly say that I've read this book more than 10 times now, and it is the one book I've read more than any other book. I'm going back over it for a really good reason. You'll love this too. 

    Xlibris was kind enough to send me the book in production form and to allow me to make corrections one more time before they finished the book.  Well, when they sent the book to me, I immediately dove into it, but I wasn't looking for misspelled words or misplaced commas (which I found), I was looking for word choices. I decided to use the FIND option and see just how many times I had used the same word(s) and I decided I would either change 1/2 of them to something more colorful, or I would find a way to restate what I had stated.  OMG...by that I mean WHAT THE HELL was I thinking?  I used the word "question" more than 150 times. I had used the word "seemed" as many times as I had the word "question". I had used the word "good" too many times. I think I said "little dog" eight or nine times, but come on, you're going to know the dog is small if I just say it twice! 

    Bottom line, I went through the book AGAIN and rewrote the rewrite. I went through it AGAIN, and changed the word "changed".  I went through it so many times and so many ways, that now I need to go back again to be sure I didn't miss putting an "an" in where an "a" had been before, and so forth. This makes me think that now I need to see how many times I used the words "so forth".  I did take out about 50 "now" and 50 more "he" or "she" to make the flow seem better. Geez, writing can be a pain in the ass. Speaking of body parts, there really aren't many choices to use when you want to replace the word "cock" in a book that takes place in the 18th century. Nope, you can say "dick" because the origin of the word does date back to the start of the 18th century in England! There you go! I was able to use that. I wasn't about to say "penis" or "phallus" in my novel, and "willy" just seemed too funny. Not as funny as "pecker" or "wood".  I did use "knob" once.  But yeah, you get the picture. It's hard to find a good word for "cock".  I almost said it's hard to find a good cock, or is it good to find a hard cock? I'm not really sure. Either way, I made my point.

    I'm going back to reading now. She smiles. I really like this book. The cover art should be out soon. I did have to write to the artist(s) to say that Craig Allan Mackenzie does have hair on his bare chest. 

Something like this, only longer hair and yeah, a kilt.

Photo Credit: Pinterest Adrian Paul

No comments: