Monday, March 20, 2023

FIRST WORLD ISSUE - - Cellular Phone Expense RANT.

 Every now and again, I am woefully reminded of just how ignorant I really am. I don't know if you know this, but being woefully ignorant never really makes me happy. In fact, it can have the very opposite result on my psyche. I can actually become upset. I don't want to become upset, so what I do is just rant here, taking all of my frustrations about the world and its issues out on my poor bald (blank) keyboard. If you don't know me, you don't know that my keyboard is about 10 years old, but I like it, so I don't replace it. It's one of the first curvy ones and almost all of the numbers and letters are completely rubbed off of it. The damn thing needs to be replaced, but it works, so yeah; not going to get another one. I don't even know if they make them now. This is another First World Issue and not the one I'm ranting about today.

    Today, I am ranting about my phone bill. I have U.S. Cellular, and I may stay with them for another four months until my phone is paid off, or I may pay off my phone and just switch to Consumer Cellular. I haven't made the decision yet. I called Consumer Cellular (CC) and asked them what their plans cost, and I was quite impressed with their answer. I never ever go over 3G of data so I can get the 5G plan for $25.00 and as long as my phone is owned and not financed, I can get away with just paying $25.00 + state and local taxes. We're talking $32.00 tops.  I have been paying $138.00 a month. WHY? I'll tell you why.  That's why I'm ranting.

    About a year or so ago, I went into the U.S. Cellular store here in Oklahoma City, and I spoke with a person who sold me on a LIE that I needed the insurance for my financed phone. She said it was mandatory, I never questioned her because having full coverage insurance on your car is required in our state if it is financed. I could have and I should have checked. I don't throw my phone. I don't ever put my phone into a bad situation; not that something bad can't happen, but I was paying $14.99 a month JUST for the coverage and if my phone was lost or stolen, I would have had to pay another $109.00 I believe, to have it replaced. I think that's what she said, it could have been more. That's not the real issue here. The REAL issue is that I was paying $10 a month (for more than 35 months) for an iPad tablet to be used with 1G of data and another $14.99 for insurance on it. I had NO NO NO idea that I was paying that because at the time I bought the new phone, I specifically asked and the lady told me no I wasn't paying for the tablet. I told her I better not be because I hadn't used it in almost two years at that time. THAT WAS A YEAR AGO.

    The ONLY reason I even realized I was actually paying for the tablet, is the woman I spoke to tonight about canceling the service told me I had the tablet on the bill. She was able to take off 3 months but not the 35 I have been paying. I'll have to write to corporate about that, and I will. I am livid. I am simply beside myself, so rather than freak out, blow up, and/or otherwise melt down, I decided to make a really cool chicken tortilla casserole and write this blog. I do that. I cook. I get in that kitchen, I find things, I mix things, I make things, and then I get on the computer and bitch! It makes me smile, the dog isn't kicked, and no one has to put up with my ranting unless you read my ranting, then you do. You'll be OK. I promise. The casserole is delicious. 

    Bottomline. I went from paying $138 to paying $63 since I am still paying for the phone.  I'll end up paying $29.99 for unlimited service, even though I never go over 3G and the CC has a $25.00 service. I don't mind paying another $4.99 to U.S. Cellular until I can get my phone paid off. I may just do it. I'm that way. I get a burr up under the saddle and I don't stop until it's gone. I may just pay it off and switch. I have a mind to do that. I was REALLY happy and pleased with the customer service woman Amanda. She was tops, and I told her I would leave her good reviews. She pointed out that I was paying too much for insurance on a phone that was almost paid off, she recommended I keep the insurance, but I have my phone insured under my renter's policy. If it is stolen it will be covered. If it is broken...well, that's when it may end up getting stolen, but I probably won't lie. I don't do that very well.

    Anyway, I'm down to paying a reasonable amount now. After the phone is paid off I can either switch to Consumer Cellular or stay with U.S. Cellular, and it will be either $25 or $29. and of course taxes. That's a whole lot better than what I've been digging in my purse for these past three long damn years. That's it, that's my rant. I'm done, and the food is ready, so I'm off to the kitchen. Check your plans people, don't be an igmo like me.

UPDATE:  USC gave me a $265 credit even though I had paid out more than $900 



Photo Credit: Pagedesignpro.com 

No comments: