Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Delight Yourself in the Lord.

 If you know me, you know my all-time favorite verse in the Bible, which is Psalms 37:4.  I like the next one too, but I REALLY get into the promise of Psalms 37:4.  The Bible doesn't say it, but we assume that David wrote this passage (maybe it says it, but I haven't seen where it is said) and it is so very simple.  Do this, and God will do that. If you do this, God will do that.  The Bible says, "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."  It goes on to say in the next verse, "Commit your way unto Him, and He will bring it to pass."  So that's really a reiteration of the first promise. The writer is telling you to do something, and when you do it, God will do something. God doesn't lie. Don't think He can. He can't. The writer knew this and wrote if you are happy in God and show it, He will bring your heart's desires. I am one of the MOST selfish people in the world...because of this one verse. I want my desires, I want them more than most things, and so, in order to have them, I only have to do one thing....the easiest thing ever, and that is to delight in God.  Done!

    One of the things I have found that brings so very much joy, fun, happiness, and yes, delight, is reading the Bible as it is written in the Scots language. I'm not talking about Scots Gaelic; I have that version as well, but the Scots language is a real language, and the New Testament has been translated into the Scots language, making it both fantastic and wonderful. I have too much fun reading it, and every time I do I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I laugh, I whoop, and I get really silly happy because of the way my mouth has to twist and pucker up just to say some of the words. I get the biggest kick out of it, and it really brings home the fact that my ancestors were both Believers and they talked funny! I am getting so good at reading Scots!!  I can't say it out loud really, not without sounding sort of stupid, and I would never try to do it in front of native speakers. I just read it, and I giggle to myself; unless I'm near someone.  If I'm near someone they have to hear me laugh; it's gonna happen.

    I'll post a single page from my Kindle so you can see what I'm talking about; you'll have to try it. I bought the New Testament in book form about four years ago, and I've been learning to read it faster and faster. It took me months to get past the first 10-15 pages. I was constantly looking up words to see what they meant, and then I'd read it again and again and try to do it without stopping. After as much time as I've put into it, I can say that I can read the Scots language so much better than I used to, and I wish I could speak it. I really do. I pull out a word now and again, but I don't have it down like I want to. Ay canna dae it.  But I do try.

    So, what are my heart's desires? Well, to be perfectly honest with you, that's none of your beeswax.  It's all going to be kept a big fat secret between me and God. He knows me. He knows my heart. He knows my wants, my wishes, my dreams, my desires, He knows it all. I'll just sit back against the mega pillows I have stacked on the bed, and pull up a dog to share my giggles with.  I have the New Testament on my Kindle now, so I read it from there. I lent the book out to my friend who said she simply had to try it. She's returned it, but not until she purchased her own copy!! It's just so much to take in, but worth every minute of every hour or every session. I try to read at least five pages a day. It's not hard now. I remember when I couldn't get one read without spending four hours diving into the Scots/English dictionary trying to figure out what I was reading. The Scots Gaelic version has the Scots Gaelic on one side and English on the other. This is simply just Scots. (LOVE IT)

    Since ay ken God tae be 100% honest, true, an' worthy, ay'll nae fash ane bit aboot my heart an' its desires. They're already being brought tae me. It's a done deal. God canna lie. Ay just hae tae wait for the right time(s) but that's OK, ay hae aa of eternity. Nae worries. Dinna fash! 




Photo Credit: Me 

No comments: