Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Happy Birthday Baby Boy!

 OK, so no one is allowed to tell Reuben that I called him Baby Boy, OK? Thanks. So yeah, 37 years ago today I was in a lot of pain.  It's actually about the time I was in the middle of pushing. I delivered my firstborn child at 12:34 p.m. on March 22, 1986.  He was a long and skinny fella.  He came shoulder first on his first attempt at coming out, and the doctor had to reach in and give him a bit of a clue as to how to actually make his entrance. There was a joke however, at that time I didn't find it very funny, but it was...the doctor said to me, "Looks like you have yourself a lineman!"  LOL...yeah, really funny, and no, let's just get through this, OK!!  

    Reuben Andrew Stringfellow was born at 12:34 p.m. and he was 21" long and weighed just under 7 pounds. He was 6 pounds and 15 ounces. He was my longest and lightest baby.  He was already in command at the time of his birth, having been conceived EXACTLY 9 months to the day from the day he arrived. He's really always been that way; quite on time, precise, and punctual. He (nor I) is ever late.  At least I managed to get one of my kids to their destinations and appointments on time. Thank you, Reuben.

    Reuben was named after my father, Reuben Wayne Stringfellow. My father was named after his father, Reuben Jefferson Stringfellow. There are quite a few REU in the family. I believe my son is #17. There was one guy that named all of his 5 sons the same thing, using their middle names as the name they went by. My son's middle name is Andrew, named after my sister Andralyn.  So, since Andrew means "Masculine" and Reuben means "Behold a Son" My son is a masculine son to be beheld. So true.  I appreciate EVERY SINGLE DAY how God made him both strong-willed and strong-bodied. Reuben is an amazing fellow, and if you haven't met him you should do that. You'll be impressed. (I'm not biased, I promise)

    Since the day of his birth, Reuben has had a few traits that separate him from others. He is stubborn like me. He likes to have things HIS WAY, and I don't blame him. When he was starting school, and I do mean the first day of Kindergarten, he was dragged out of the school by his teacher. She presented him to me and stated that Reuben insisted on sitting in a particular chair even though she had assigned it to someone else. He literally traded his chair for the other one. Then, (the same day) he put all of the toys in size (or shape) order along the wall and told everyone that they were to be put back after they were played with.  The teacher told me that day my son had A.D.D. and he needed to be tested.  

    Reuben was tested at 6, 7, 8, 9, and finally 10.  EVERY single year the teachers INSISTED that he had A.D.D. and needed medication. EVERY single year he was tested and the doctors said no. Finally, when he was 10 the doctor wrote on his chart "This is a normal 10-year-old boy. Any teacher that can't handle him needs to find another profession."  I thought that was hilarious, but I did continue to discipline him when his teachers called me up to the school to discuss his dominant and commanding ways.  The boy was literally lining students up, telling them where to play, how to play, when to play, etc.  He's still doing that, only in the Oklahoma National Guard, having served several years in the Regular Army. Yep, he knew when he was little that he was going to be in charge. 

    In High School, and I guess in Middle School as well, Reuben played football. Guess what, he was a lineman!!  He did very well and was even invited by Bob Stoops himself, to attend the 2001 training camp in Norman. That was the year the Sooners took the National championship. Reuben couldn't hardly contain himself. I took him down every day for a week or so. He had the most fun ever. He played High School ball, and they went to the state play offs every year. When he was out of the Army and at the Indiana National Guard he played for the local club called the Marion Crusaders, and they took the National Championship in their division. Again, he was a lineman. 

    He graduated high school, worked for a year, then joined the U.S. Army. He's been in the military since September 21, 2006, and is about to become an E7 First Sgt. I am so very very proud of my son. He's made a couple of tours, and he's been stationed overseas for years. He's been home for a few years now and works for himself by selling insurance. Just last week he went to Los Cabos, Mexico, and was honored and recognized by the CEO and CFO of the company for his outstanding work. I am not surprised. He moved up to District Regional Manager in just under two years.   WOOT!!

Happy Birthday, son!!  I love you. 




No comments: