Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Tipping at the Register

 Apparently, there have been some changes in the restaurant business since the Pandemic.   Now, since waitstaff is rarely coming to your table now, and you must order at the register, they are no longer coming by to take an order, fill your drink, fill your order, check on you, and then take up your plates to prepare for the next guest. They want you to order at the front, pay at the front, and LEAVE A TIP at the register even if they are not going to do anything for you. The reason someone would tip is that the service is good, not so that we can pay for it in advance. I watched a couple NOT pay the tip and saw that the waitstaff at the front didn't give them as good of service as they did myself and my friend. We both left tips, but we didn't want to. My friend told me if we didn't give at least a 15% percent tip we could expect slower service and then she said, "and only God knows what they may do to your food". I flat out hate that!

    In America, we are conditioned to tip our waitstaff because we know they are paid a minimum wage and earn the rest of their income through tips. It used to be something really low like $2.50 an hour plus whatever tips you could receive. In 2010 my daughters waited tables and made $2.25-2.50 per hour, but they made bank from tips; they were friendly and cordial, funny, and made people feel welcome. It was not unheard of for either of my kids to bring home $200 a night and they didn't serve alcohol, they were serving dinners, and pancakes at a waffle house!  Today, I went to a McAlisters and ordered a $10 meal, it came with a tiny side, and I ordered a tea which added $2.49 on top of my meal. That's a lot of money for tea if you ask me. Yes, they will refill it for you, they better! As I was inserting my credit card the lady at the register said "It will ask you another question, and it's totally up to you."  Really? No, it's not.

    When I visit the UK I am always that American, you know, the one that pulls out their credit card to pay, and then tips the wait staff when I leave. There, in the UK, they are paid a working wage, and the average citizen doesn't tip anyone at any restaurant unless it's a fancy place, and they want to impress those they are with.  Americans just automatically give up 15%-20% of our meal price if the service is good, but I've not really found good service in the UK and I'm thinking it's more or less connected to the fact that they get a wage and don't expect a tip. When I have to flag someone down and ask for a refill only to be told I'll need to pay for a 2nd drink, you can bet I'm not going to feel much like tipping in that situation. NOW, because of the lame Pandemic-excuse, we are being forced to PAY FOR THE SERVICE before we get it through tipping at the register, or we have to possibly suffer the consequences - - whatever they may be. I'm not happy.

    The food was OK at McAlister's tonight, but they weren't generous with their beef like they used to be. I think inflation has reared its ugly head in every nook and cranny possible. I'm not going to spend $13 on a meal if I'm not being served a decent amount of food; I can stay home, save money, treat myself well, never put up a tip, and guarantee myself at least one free refill on tea, water, or whatever the hell I decide to drink. I really like myself. I could serve myself all night! I think it's time we consumers began putting up a fuss about what it is we expect and what it is that we won't tolerate.   I don't have to go out, I choose to do so. I don't have to beg someone to do their job, they should just do it. I should never have to worry about the condition or safety of my food if I choose not to add a tip to my bill before even being served. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. That's what YELP is for I suppose!

    Too many of us are complaining these days about the way younger people handle customer service, and there's a reason for that.  Younger people can't really handle customer service (generally speaking) and when I have to wait for a cashier to put her damn phone down to take my order there's a problem. When I call her manager over and he's about a year older, and I see him put his phone away before coming to speak to me, there's another problem. Again, that's what YELP is for. Perhaps we can stop trying to settle matters at the establishment and try our luck with leaving comments online. That's where it will make a difference to them nowadays anyway! I realize it's 2022, and I need to think outside my old-fashioned time-machine type of box, but then again, I have to say it, we did things so much better when I was in that position. I wanted my job. I looked forward to being paid. I thought I could handle more hours so I could get a car, or be independent. That's not a motivator these days.  Oh well, my choice. I don't have to put myself in those restaurants.

    It's been a bit of a rant. I get that, but from time to time I'm allowed. It is my blog after all. 


Photo Credit: PayStone.com


    


No comments: