Saturday, February 13, 2021

Say Goodnight - a poem

 Say Goodnight 

 

There’s something about this feeling 

Something untrusting, raw 

Thought it would be easy to resist 

Again, I failed myself – that's all 

 

Not easy to fall this hard and survive 

Suppose I’ve had practice before 

What I wish I could do is scream 

Not letting anything show 

 

What I wouldn’t give to smile 

Simply walk away  - waving 

Nothing lasts forever, but this  

This pain, this hurt, this craving 

 

You’ve taken my heart 

You don’t even realize my ruin 

Just a fool; standing silent - alone 

Knowing you’ll never return 

 

Could I tear loose – break away 

Hitch a ride with my own future 

A place you won’t find me 

A place you’d never venture 

 

Too broken to ask for help 

My noumenon exposed 

Too worn from years of injury 

Self-inflicted; perhaps cursed 

 

What could I do with me anyway 

Keep sentiment wrapped up tight 

Never sharing love again 

Smile, wave, say “good night” 

 

Jude Stringfellow 

February 13, 2021 

 


No comments: