Saturday, August 31, 2024

The. (The Book)

 If you know me, you know I'm a little different than most people. I put more emphasis on the odd, the out-there, or the unique than the stuff you run across daily. When I learned as a kid that the libraries and bookstores ignore the word "The," it bothered me. It has always bothered me. The word is too....well, it's essential. You say THE THIS or THE THAT, and it's THE one to mention or be associated with. Try going a day without using THE word THE.

    I decided to write my 15th book and title it "The" because of its content. I knew the content from the beginning. I didn't know how it would end - only that the two main characters would end together. At first, they wouldn't get married, but that changed. There were other changes, too. She was going to be black, he was going to be white, but then I just didn't keep that thought going. They say you should write about your experiences, and I didn't want to fake it or try to pretend.

    Leigh has my middle name, and the other character is Matthew James O'Conner. If I had been born a boy, I would have been Matthew James, but I think Mom would have given me two T's in Matthew. My character only has one. He's odd that way. I like him. He's attractive, fun, out there, and dedicated to being the best he can be, but he's unsure how to make it happen. That's where she comes in.

    She's a little too over the top sometimes. She's an extrovert who doesn't ask for permission or forgiveness. She's tough, but she's fair, and her idea of fun is writing, planning, working, and being busy - she's not someone to sit around and watch the world go by; she's a maker and a doer for sure.  She's from DeQueen, Arkansas, and I have folks over that way. I know enough about it to wing it - and that's what I did.

    Mathew was Jimmy Conner in his previous life, but circumstances forced him to change his name and start completely over from scratch. He was a top-notch chef and had been for years. He was seen on television and well sought out until he wasn't. He has a past, and she has a big heart, full of room to understand him. 

    Together, they work to help others who can't seem to make it on their own; they need help even if they aren't able or willing to ask for it. They are the "the" who are ignored, and Leigh and Mat want to give them the space, time, energy, and confidence they need to be who they can be if given the chance. It's a good book, and I liked writing it. I'm finishing it now and putting the last touches on it before it is submitted for publishing on Monday. 

    Officially, the publishing date will be September 1, but it won't be ready to buy until about September 18, when it is printed, returned to me for final inspection, and resent. I'll keep you posted. It will be in print and epub. The print is 343 pages, 85809 words, and will sell for $19, but the Kindle will be $4.99. Such a deal!



No comments: