Sunday, September 8, 2024

Office Chairs - - The Matrix.

         I am all but convinced that the office chair is the bane of my existence these days. I've gone through three in the past several weeks. It's not as if they disintegrated or anything, not at all. They simply did not work out for me. I moved to my new place in July, and my office chair could have been left in the dumpster, but no, I had to bring it -- don't ask me why. It was several years old, cracking (the seat edges), and it made a funny noise when I lifted or lowered the seat. That's a clear sign that the oil they put in the mechanism is gone! I should listen to my instincts. I should have just left it!

    I should also write down the make and model of the chair because if I like it, I could probably just order another one. I must have liked it; I kept it for four or five years. As time passed and chairs began to crack, this one also started to slope slightly in the front. I didn't notice it until I noticed it; I nearly fell out of it when I bent over to pick up something I had dropped.  That was the deciding factor to get rid of it. I'm not about to end up face-first on the hardwood floor in my office just because I wanted to pick up a Tootsie Pop stick! Nope! I refuse.

    The next day, after I nearly fell on my nose, I went straight to Amazon and bought a new chair. Bam! Done. It arrived, and it was not what I ordered. They had sent me the wrong chair. It was in the correct box; I can say that. The wheels were used as well. The chair was a "refurbished" model, but not the model I had ordered. I ordered another chair because that's how I am. I decided to get one that was armless and wider so I could sit cross-legged...that's exactly what I ordered, too! BUT....I didn't look at the picture well enough. I ordered a chair without wheels. Stupid me, I thought I could just buy a new base to go on it - - they cost as much as a new chair.

    I kept that chair; it is now what my friend sits in when she comes to visit. It is the "Jeannie chair".  I have a "Jeannie plate," too.  It's a big ceramic plate. I don't eat off larger plates, only smaller ones to control my portions. Jeannie likes bigger plates - I got her one. I'm that nice.  But as for the chairs...I had to order a new one. Amazon, again, to the rescue.

    The next chair I ordered was on sale and looked almost exactly like the chair I had kept for so long. When it arrived, I was super happy that it would be my new buddy for many waking hours of every day....until it wasn't. First, I had to put it together, and no, Laura did not help me much at all! She watched! She watched me struggle. I managed, and it was put together. After I turned it over and sat on it, I knew it, too, would be replaced. 

    The stiff plastic arms were not lower than the cushion on the side. My knees hit them when I crossed my legs. I always sit cross-legged on my chair - that won't stop, so yeah, the chair was a no-go. I even bought a 3" cushion to sit on, thinking it would raise me high enough to avoid the rubbing, but nope, it didn't help. I think it lasted a full week. I kept trying over and over again -- finally, I said no. It departed. I didn't have the original box to send it back, so I had to wait for my new chair to arrive so I could use that box.

    The new chair - the one I'm sitting in now, was (as you probably guessed) more expensive. Some things just need to cost more to be good for you, and cheating yourself in the world of office chairs is not the way to go. This one is for "Big and Tall" people because I cross my legs and need the 34" seat. This one has arms that raise and lower, independent of the chair's back. If I wanted to, I could go armless, but I'm good since I can raise my arm rests.  This one is a thick black, padded, mesh-backed chair, and I think it will work just fine.

    I'm keeping the 3" tush-cush thing to sit on; why not? It helps a little with the space for my legs, too; I like that. It's a good chair. It better be; it was not cheap. In the end, I should have just said to myself that I needed the best office chair in the first place and did what I did in the last place. I Googled "Best office chair" and got one with a 4.7 rating after 7,000+ reviews.  The chair I replaced had a 4.2 or 4.3 review but only 36 reviews. I should have seen that! At least I know now, and SO DO YOU!! If you go off and buy yourself anything, please check the number of reviews and their rating --it matters.  Comfort really matters.

    I think I'll name my chair. He's a big man - - he's a man because I wouldn't sit in a woman's lap all day....sorry if that offends, but it is the truth. The chair will be named GENTRY.   I like that name. He's rather ordinary in that he's square-backed but also very nice. He's sturdy, works hard, does his best to give me the comfort and security I need. I like Gentry, and I will keep his arms raised as high as they will go so I can use them to relax when I need to. He can keep them around me and make me feel that much more secure from having the feeling that I would or could end up toppled. Gentry is a good chair. I'm glad we met. 


Photo Credit: Amazon.com 


No comments: