Sunday, March 17, 2024

The New Book. (Postponing Again)

 The new book, the one I won't title until I actually publish it, is giving me second and third thoughts. I'm wanting to write it, of course, but I'm thinking of making it another Nick Posh book rather than a stand alone drama. I've decided to pour more of myself into the Posh books for the foreseeable future. It makes sense when I think about it.  Branching off into romance is OK, but just popping out a drama book for the sake of it didn't make a lot of sense. 

    If I make the book a Posh book I can kill two fake birds with one fake stone. I don't ever want anyone to associate me with being a bird murderer...nope.  I can write the book, make it everything I want it to be in terms of sending a message, and it can be a Posh thriller so that it has a good plot and a couple of who-done-it moments. I like that idea. Besides, the book will deal with self-awareness, suicide, homelessness, and the underseen, underheard, under-appreciated. Nick can sink his detective teeth into it and find out some of the underlying reasons for such behavior.

    I'm thinking Dr. Francis Moynihan can meet up with Dr. Wilhelm Rosenfield and they can write a white paper together on what they research and discover.  My new romance book will take place in Edinburgh and the characters will be modern aged, present time. I don't need to have too many out of sync books out there. I'll stick to Posh and romance. Sounds good. I just talked myself into it.

    My next Posh book however is "Mesa" and it takes place over the summer months of 1931 while Elaine and Alistair are in Scotland. Mesa takes place out west in the Southwest states of New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada. There will be horses, circuses, clowns, mayhem, murder, and more. There will be a cast of weird yet loveable characters; some helpful, some not so helpful. There will be a reason to call on a few old friends from the Taylor murder days; maybe someone can help Nick put a pin in Charlotte Riley, aka Charlotte Shelby, Mary Miles Minter's mother, who many believed murdered the super-director in 1922.

    "Mesa" will be a wild west ride for sure, with plenty to look back on and say "that was fun".  I hope to think of great adventures for Nick to participate in, as well as coming up with ways to showcase his detective abilities. He'll run into a man by the name of Erle Stanley Gardner and they'll talk.  They are exactly the same age, give or take a few months. Both men will discuss their passions. That will be good. P.T. Barnum will make an appearance as will Frank L. Baum, the writer of the Wizard of Oz and other Oz stories.

    I think I'm going to enjoy writing "Mesa" as much as I enjoyed writing "1211". I have to tell you, writing is my passion and my soul-food. I don't think I could breathe without it. I have been postponing it because I'm working but I need to get right back into it - - I can work, and I can study, and I can do the whole Six Sigma thing too if I need to. I'm going to study Xactimate soon, maybe in May. I can write and put in a few pages every day or so - - it adds up. I need to write. It keeps me grounded.  I'll keep you posted on my progress. 

    


Photo Credit: iStock.com 

No comments: