Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Beginner's Luck? (Maybe I'm Good at This!)

 I always giggle when I start a new job or work with people who don't know me; they don't know I'm a talker, and then they find out for themselves.  I can literally talk the ears off a wood-gnat, and in case you didn't know, they do have ears.

    So, I started my new job as a Claims Manager for an undisclosed company last week. We were given a full week of training before being expected to be on the phones and starting the pipeline to what will become our income source. We fill up those pipelines with promises of recovery from liability and/or subrogation claims, and over a period of time the fees shift over to my account bucket, from which I am then paid. 

    I'm paid a salary, but there is a bonus and commission structure as well. I make what I put into it really, and I hope I can do well enough to make the bosses happy, but not too much money this year, as I'm trying to balance myself with my other income source; the one that won't pay out if I make too much money. I'll be paid this year, but if I make too much in 2024, I'll lose the extra in 2025.  It's a thing - - but one I want to play at so I can be both useful and not over stressed to the point where I feel as if I have to be the top producer. (Those days are so far gone.)

    I'm such a content person, that I am 100% OK with being paid a good wage, commission, and bonus as long as I'm not stressing, over-working, and/or otherwise pushing the envelopes. I like to chill, take breaks, breathe, strategize, organizing myself to the point that I work smarter and not faster or harder. I want a steady work flow, and I want it to be really laid back - - that's the part that takes a bit of practice. I'll need to get geared up and I love the fact that this company is all about learning the job well before expecting me to be the miracle-child.

    The job is rather easy in that there are only 3 moving parts. I am given a claim to work, I work it, and ask for payment. If the party doesn't pay, eventually I turn the claim over to the "collector" who is an attorney. I'm an adjuster who determines liability based on liability statutes, policies, and coverages. If someone says they're not responsible I investigate it. If I find that they didn't do their due diligence, if they didn't have the required licenses or insurance, or if they either admitted responsibility and/or it was witnessed, then we ask for the money our clients had to pay to be indemnified.

    We are hired by those who are self-insured. If they are liable they pay their own, we don't represent them in their defense. We only recover what they are owed and I am in the first line of that recovery process. I get the claim, work the claim, and ask for payment. If they choose not to pay after we've proven their negligence, I simply turn it over to the next level and go on to the next claim.  Simple really. I love the investigation part best of course, but I also love talking to folks and trying to work things out before they are turned over to a legal advocate. I hope to help.

    Today, out of the blue, a guy decided to pay something he had previously told others he wouldn't pay or take responsibility for because I was able to explain it to him in a way that he understood his position rather than just being told "Pay this, you owe it."  

    He prefered the analogy ..."If  someone wanting to rob you jumps over your fence and breaks into your house, if your dog bites him for it, he can sue you through your Homeowner's Strict Liability clause. Our clients know you have a strict liability to pay what one of your subcontractors broke if you don't have a bond on that person that was in place at time of the loss. If you do have a bond on that person, you can present it to me now, and I'll call them and rebill the claim to them so it's off your plate and in their corner."   He knew (and I knew) he didn't have the necessary documents for that particular day or that particular worker.

    The man paid the debt in full and that sort of made my day. The man doesn't have to fear that he will be taken to court and charged extra fees on top of what he didn't want to pay in the first place, and our client is happy to get that matter off the books too. I'm happy because it stuffs my pipeline, and my boss is happy because just after one or two days on the phones I've had a few payments already!! Woot. I will say it helps to be nice, sweet as honey, and to pour on that Southern Belle charm that simply oozes out me when I need it to.  (Think Reba.  She doesn't REALLY speak like that - - I've known the woman since 1979!) 

    Let the games begin!! I'm hoping to do really well, but not to exceed what I don't want to exceed. Maybe I can train people and then just take a lower salary...that may be the way to go in the future. I'll talk to the boss about it. 😇😇😇

Photo Credit:  Confident Living


No comments: