Saturday, March 30, 2024

Meet Norman Macleod. (1975 Aria acoustic guitar made in Japan)

 Aria is the name of the main female character in the first novel I wrote.  Her name is Aria Campbell, and yes, she was named for the guitars that I prefer. I love Fender, Gibson, Aria, and then Yamaha. I wish I could say that I've been able to play them, but I can't. I don't know how, but I do play at it - - and sooner or later I'll get the hang of it. Eternity is a very long time, so I figure I can make something happen there if I can't make it happen here.

    There will be guitars in Heaven. We know this. I don't have to worry about it; hopefully, I'll be in a beginner's class as soon as I land on solid ground.  That's one of my hopes anyway. Edgar Cruz was supposed to teach me how to play in 1982, but he sort of dropped that ball -- something about being in love or something, I don't know. All I know is I still can't pick up a guitar and just play it. I pick them up and talk to them, play with them, and just pretend I'm doing what I should be doing.

    That being said, I have owned a few really cool guitars in my life. I had a really nice vintage Spanish guitar once, I named her Stella. She was stolen, and I have been very sad about that for over twenty years now.  I own a Yamaha; one I bought from a drummer who thought he'd learn to play guitar, and it never happened. "Wally", my Yamaha, is about 10 years old, and he hangs on my wall and reminds me that I need to do more than just think about learning, so I pull him off the wall and play about 3 times a week.

    Now, and only just today, I own an Aria!! I was too excited when I found it online through Facebook Marketplace. The ad said they wanted $75 but that the price was negotiable. Seriously? I wrote to them and said I was on my way. I asked if they wanted cash or Venmo. They said cash, and I said I'd be there within the hour. It was a 30-mile trek, but yes...worth it. They actually told me that they'd take $60 so I was even more excited.

    Driving down to Norman (which is why I call him "Norman") to pick him up, I decided to stop by OnQue and pick up a lottery ticket too; so if I win tonight you'll hear about that too I'm sure. (Or maybe you won't, I probably shouldn't tell anyone since it's $935M although, come on, the payout is ONLY $452M..LOL).  I pulled out the money from the ATM and I drove to the apartment where he was; maybe 10 minutes away from the pit stop.

    I talked to the owner, she was the girlfriend of the man who pulled Norman out of the trash bin where an apartment renter had put him. He may have been on the outside rather than the inside, as he's not damaged. He had a scuff on his face, but that was there a while back. The lady said her boyfriend is the maintenance guy at the complex, and people throw out good things all the time. He'll collect them, clean them, and sell them if he can.  He had no idea what the guitar was worth.

    The serial number on my guitar is in the 5000s. I'm not saying exactly what the number is, I don't need someone claiming it was stolen so they can sell it themselves.  Nope, Norman is mine!  I am not going to sell him, even though his serial number places him as being made in the year 1975. Even though he is in perfect shape, and has no injuries, he will remain with me.

    There is another person online with an Aria made in 1978 and they're asking $500 for it. Wow. I feel pretty good about my little investment. The scuff on his face tells me he's been around. He's been in a situation or two. Maybe he was played in bars and was used to defend his owner at some point? Who knows. He's an amazing instrument, and I'm about to have him professionally cleaned, restrung, and tuned. He'll come home and be played at least 3x a week.

    What I did notice is that though he is the same size as Wally, he's lighter. It's much easier to hold him, and I think his neck may be thinner, as my fingers seem to fit better. I may actually be able to learn on Norman!! This will make me a very happy girl indeed.

    Oh...so yeah, his name is Norman Macleod, and before you ask, I'll go ahead and admit it. His last name is Macleod because my favorite guitarist (sorry Edgar) is Steph Macleod, and he plays an Aria too. I do that, I name things after people and places and things I admire. Wally is Sir Wally Stirling. He was named for William Wallace and the city of Stirling.  I do that.

Photo Credit: Me.

No comments: