Thursday, March 21, 2024

Lean Six Sigma - - and Me.

 I was somewhere around the age of twelve when I first learned about Bloom's Taxonomy. I guess I just thought everyone knew about it, and you can only imagine my astonishment when I realized that no, no they didn't.  I was called out for my love of the philosophy even before I knew I had adopted one. I was a Bloom's friend and there was nobody in this world that could stop me from asking pertinent and/or meaningful questions about literally everything I came in contact with. 

    Today, some fifty years later, I'm still asking questions. I want to know just about everything there is to know about everything I see, hear, know, or think about. I don't see a piece of art and think it's pretty. I first wonder about the artist, and why they were compelled to make that particular piece of art. I see something at work or at school and wonder who engineered it. I think someone had an idea, they had to get it approved, and then they hired someone to make it happened. I never just look at something and think, "Oh, that's really cool" without asking myself what it is, why it's what it is, how it is constructed, what makes it work exactly, and can it be improved. I asked myself what applications does it have in my life, and then I start building out my own thoughts of why I didn't think of it myself!

    Lean Six Sigma, or just Six Sigma really, since all of these concepts include the "lean" portion of it now; trying to be the best and using the most effective means possible; it only makes sense to just combine the two and call them what they are. They are the components to a philosophy that asks us to be more effective, more logical in our means and ways, and to find better and more efficients means of being productive or in some cases, being more effective. 

    Six Sigma courses train a person in several disciplines but not all disciplines; not yet. They are coming out with more courses for more diverse learning and I love that. It's literally  the very core of what Six Sigma is all about. We can't stop at 8 or 10 disciplines if all disciplines can benefit from the way of thinking which is Six Sigma. I think for the time being, I will learn the processes through a free online course and do so in the discipline of supply chain or logistics. It has always been a fascination of mine; how the food ended up on my plate.

    Everything has a start. Everything as a beginning, a middle, and an end. As a writer I fully understand the concept. In my training and my research I welcome the fact that there are stages and degrees of learning within the courses. If you think of the frog that becomes unaware of how hot the water becomes because he/she has become so accustom to the temperature as it slowly rises, that is the same concept of Six Sigma. You can't take it all in at one time; it's overpowering. You learn as you go, and you build on what you have learned.

    The company I am currently working at doesn't offer the paid training in Six Sigma for Claims Adjusters at this time; they are only paying for the courses for their managers. I think that's unfortunate, because the learning concepts are not just for one set of people; the entire company will benefit when any and all decide to think openly, willfully with a desire to streamline and make the process easier, better, more efficient. It's OK, I'm not going to wait on them - - I don't wait on anyone and I never have. If I want to learn this philosophy, and I do, I'll simply find a way - - it's who I am.

    I'm now enrolled in a free online White Belt course for Six Sigma, and after I take the White Belt certification, I'll pay for the other levels. There are various places to go online to learn; you don't have to enroll in college these days to learn. Since it's not a degree program, online certifications are available. There are places you can go and take official tests so you get your certifications; this way you can add these needed and valuable skillsets to your resume. You appreciate in value - - professionally speaking. It can help you with your own personal self love and awareness as well.

    Six Sigma is a great practice to engage in at so many levels. Like Bloom's Taxonomy, it's not just for the limited disciplines being offered, but a technique to use in literally every decision you make from this point forward. It gives you a way to think through your decisions and to come up with the best and more keenly thought out resolution.  You start to think about things in so many varied ways; it gives you a spectrum of choice that you may never have realized before.

    If you're interested I would suggest that you Google "Online free Six Sigma courses" and find the one that best suits you. I'm going with www.sixsigmaonline.org for the first round, and if I like it, I will continue using them for the various levels or belts before taking the final step to become a Black Belt. They have Master Black Belts as well, but I think I'll stick with the top tier of Black Belt. I'm not necessarily going to try to train others. This is for me. This is my time. 


Photo Credit:  Vanderbilt Center for Teaching

No comments: