Thursday, November 23, 2023

Putting the Writing on Hold for Now.

     I'm going to put my writing on hold for a month or so, this will allow me to get caught up on a few more things that mean a lot to me. I need to exercise more, and get out there and walk. I've been neglecting that. I think I thought I had to get those books out before starting my new job, and I did what I set my mind to do. I achieved my goal. I don't have to get the next one out right now. I can wait. I'm not really feeling that one like I did the Posh thrillers. Even "Edinburgh" was pressing me, but this book, "Bay Sorrel Ranch" is not really all that pressing. It's just sort of there.

    I will start my new job on 12/11 and that does give me enough time to write the book if I choose to, and I will probably be really relaxed about it. I may do a chapter here and there, maybe do a few tweaks on the plots and twists. I need to be sure I have all of it lined out the way I want it.  Because I'm not working yet I don't have all the subscriptions to the places I need to have them with so I can get the book formatted once I write it, and draw up a pretty (and free) book cover. I know it's only a matter of a few dollars, but why spend it if I'm just going to relax anyway. I'll get them back once I get a little more serious about the book being finished. 

    My new job is so funny, it's insurance, but it's more service than sales. It's from home, and there are three really good reasons I'm taking it; it's not the money. I'm actually taking a cut in pay, but it will be worth it in the end.  One reason I'm taking the job is that it is so relaxed. Because they are not expecting us to work hard, or to work overtime, I'll have time to think through my books during my work time as well. I don't have to be "on" the entire time, just available. 

    Another reason I took it is because the hours are literally what I wanted them to be.  You can't find that all the time. I work from 8:00 - 4:30 and Monday through Friday. The thing is, we're not really doing anything the first 30 to 40 minutes each day, just catching up from the day before, going over notes, and having a Teams meeting while we drink our coffee, and eat our breakfasts....all of us in our PJs. I love the stuffing out of that.

    Another...aforementioned reason, I wear my jammies to work. I don't get up, take a shower, get dressed, put on professional clothes, put my makeup on, and drive through poopy dreadful traffic to get to a place where others have experienced the same thing. By the time you arrive, you're upset. It starts the day off on the wrong foot most of the time. I don't have to listen to office drama, office politics, office lies, or office whatever. I am the only person in my office, and I'm in my jammies without makeup and without drama - - unless the dog needs to pee or something.

    During the seven weeks of training, we'll work  8-4:30, and then afterward it will be much closer to 9:00-4:15 p.m. as we're supposed to stop about 15 minutes before the close of the day to again go back over the plans, or what happened during the day so we'll be ready for it the next day. FREAKING LOVE IT.  Yes, it pays about $600 less or so each month, but for peace of mind, peace of peace, and whatever else, it's worth it. 

    During the training time, I'm going to be training in the evenings too. I'm learning Xactimate from the standpoint of taking my certifications.  I know Xactimate in theory, but I'll learn it to the point I can take the tests and be certified in both Level 1 and Level 2 of the program so that I can be that much more of an asset to the team I'm assigned to, or the next team. Once I have the skills I'll work them two or three months before asking for a new assignment. You can do that once you have a certification of Level 1 or 2 in Xactimate. You can ask for more money, you can ask for better hours too.

    The thing about knowing Xactimate is that if your current employer isn't working with you, the next one will.  Every contractor, and every insurance carrier needs and wants people who can do Xactimate from their home, and if you have a Level 2 certification, you can almost write your own ticket. The average salary in the States right now for a Level 2 is around $72,000.  Google that. Go look it up. It's a real thing. It depends on your assignment, and your employer, but an independent makes even more. So, this job is awesome. I can do it, relax, love it, stay, learn Xactimate, and I can move forward. 

    I love a win-win. It feels really good to just relax and know everything will be OK. God is just too too good. LOVE Him.

Photo Credit: Google Play (Xactimate)
Photo Credit: Glassdoor.com


No comments: