Sunday, November 12, 2023

Dance - - Dance - - Dane-cccc

The good news is I don't care if I sweat, stink, or make other noises when I'm dancing because it is just me, my CD player, my dog Ginger, and sometimes my cat Bilbo. I say sometimes Bilbo because he's not always to be counted on; he leaves when he gets bored which is usually after the 3rd or 4th song. Ginger, on the other hand, is waiting for me to drop down into the doggie-downward stance so she can feel as if she's doing the same thing I am doing. She loves doga!! 

    When I dance, as opposed to when I walk, box, or stretch, I throw it all to the wind. I move. I have zero inhabitions and I let my mind race back to my senior year in high school when I was something like 120 pounds at my current height of nearly 5'7" and I was flat as a 12-year-old boy! Damn, I miss that girl! If I could, I would sell these big boobies and donate any extra fat a good licensed surgeon could use for his/her next patient. I'm ready...I'll trade it in a heartbeat.

    Speaking of heartbeats..I need to get one of those gizmos to tell me what my heart rate is while I'm dancing. I tend to slow it down when I think it's too high, but you just never know. I may have to get something to remind me; maybe something with a buzzer on it that screams at me when it gets to the thrashing point. I could do that, or I could stop playing Head East and Boston, and put something a bit more tame on the CD player - - maybe Steph Macleod. (Talk about heart racing! LOL Maybe I shouldn't do that.) Maybe I should think about my 17-year-old self with a bit of precaution - - but damn...damn...she was fun.

    From 1980-1984 (off and on) I worked for a music production company as well as being an indie writer in Hollywood. The company "Concerts West"  through Quicksilver and 96X radio, worked hand-in-hand with over 200 venues to bring or produce great names. My role was that of a gopher really - - go here, go there, do this do that. I drove, I cooked, I found food, found this, found that, and worked security during the shows. I met and hung with some of the greatest names in music - - and the reason(s) I was allowed to stay on was because I didn't take photos, I didn't get starry-eyed, I didn't date them (except Alex Van Halen) and I managed to keep a steady-mind and an even keel when they threw their (very often) tantrums; as you can imagine many of them did...David Lee Roth, Steve Perry, and The Pointer Sisters come to mind. Talk about dancing!! Talk about constant movement. 

    In 1979 we weren't really headbangers as much as we were just spinners, and twisters. We did a lot of dropping and popping, and we did a lot of shoulder movements. I remember that. There's another thing I do in my wee little space that I've cut out for myself in my bedroom for the particular excitement. I do cheerleading moves - - think 1979 again, nothing like they do now. I couldn't compete even if my 17-year-old self was standing in front of me. Nope, the girls today blow me, and memories clear out of the water!! I see Simone Biles and I just lose my breath! Such an inspiration! (I know, she's not a cheerleader, don't email me.)

    I'm about forty pounds over what I want to be. I'll never ever get back to 120, and to be honest, I don't want to be. I don't mind my hips. I like my hips..they're cool. I can see myself at about 140-145 and I'll be happy. It can happen. If I don't force it by exercising, I know I can pay for it to happen, but let's see how close I can get with this regiment. I don't mind putting myself through it. I know my discipline. I can set my goals and meet them - - by myself, I don't need anyone else kicking or nudging me. 

    I may move my boxing apparatus into the bedroom and store it in the corner so I can pull it out nightly and pound away for two songs; that's a good 7 minutes, maybe 8. I can do that. I can continue to walk 3 miles a day, dance, box, stretch, and think really fun exciting thoughts. Believe me when I say my exercising is not just a physical experience. NOOOOOO, I go places. I do things. I'm flying, I'm swimming the Firth of Forth. I'm chasing men in kilts up the moors - - sometimes I catch one! (Music lulls, I take a few breaths...and start over again.)

    This will be a good program - - I have a doctor helping me this time. She's only known me for a few weeks. She'll be pretty excited when I see her this week and let her know what's up; she may even provide me a gizmo to keep up with my heart rate.  We're going to both be pretty excited when I see the pounds drop because I know that my higher (not that high) cholesterol was connected to the extra weight. I can set a number and try to go for it, but I've not ever had a higher-than-normal number, so I don't know the needed metrics to get it below what it is supposed to be.  I can't remember the exact numbers, I have a blog out there about it. But that was a month ago - - I'm sure it's lower.

    OK, I think I'll call it a day for today so I'm not overdoing it, but when I was 18 - - of majority age, I would dance literally 4 or 5 nights a week at the Quicksilver club here in OKC from about 7:30 to about 10:00. I never drank. I was the designated driver. I got my orange juice or water for free - - good times. Maybe I'll find a few more 80's CDs and pretend...oh, pretend....yes...VanHalen....Journey...Kansas...Foreigner....Boston...Head East..Tom Petty...Billy Joel...and no, we won't forget the Bee Gees! I will never ever ever forget my Bee Gees. (or the Bay City Rollers, but that was 14-15! Damn...I'm old) I may be old, I admit it, but I move - - and I thank God for that.


Been there, done that - - hundreds of times. (This one is not mine but I was there. I worked it.)

No comments: