Saturday, September 9, 2023

Focus!!

     I've been unwilling to admit it, but I do finally need to wear reading glasses and that fact really bothers me. I'm going to be 62 in November, which in and of itself amazes me. I didn't know 62 even existed when I was younger. I thought you died before that time; for sure only really really old people were over 60. Well, turns out that I was wrong. I'm still very young, and I don't mean "young at heart"; screw that, I'm young. I don't feel old, I don't do old-people things, I don't complain about my body aches...and now, damn it, I need glasses to read. 

    I don't need glasses to see, I see fine, but when I read I need them. I can see things in the distance, it's the close-up things that I can't really focus on, so what do I think I can do about it? Well, turns out there are some pretty interesting exercises you can do to improve your eyes and the muscles and/or veins, or whatever it is back there in your brain, that can help you see better. It's working, so I'm going to keep doing it. I don't care if people laugh at me. I'm having fun.

    Here is what I do now. I sit up straight because somehow sitting up straight helps you no matter what it is that you're doing. Without moving my head, I look forward at something pretty far away, and then I look at something really close, maybe my thumb or something. Then, I do it again and again and again. Next, I keep my head immobile, but I look as far as I can to the right, then the left, then the right, then the left for about 10 sets. 

    After the left/right thing, I do it again looking upward and downward, not moving my head. I do this about 10x and then I close my eyes. I rub my eyes lightly, and I heat up my palms by rubbing them; then placing my palms over my closed eyes. I repeated the exercise a couple of times. The whole thing takes maybe 5 minutes and I can feel it in my eyes for sure. I think it's working. I know I still have to use the glasses to read the fine print, but it does feel better than it did two weeks ago when I put them on all the time. I'm using them less and less now.

    Anyway, that's what I have, and that's what I'm doing. You don't have to do it, and you may think it's crazy, but let me just say, I don't know if it's fail-proof because we do get older, and things do fall apart, but why not try and make things better if we can? We stretch, we move around, we keep our bodies moving, why not do the same for our eyes. You can do the same thing with your chin too, your teeth and jaw, you open, close, go to the right, the left, etc. You can stretch your jaw, and you can feel better about yourself; it really does make you feel more in tune with your own body.

    Hey, it's your body.  You may as well like what you have to the point of doing all that you can to make it the best body you can have.  Just sayin'...do it if you want, I do, and I love it. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll report how it's working. I'm also trying to focus on what goes into my body and how I exercise. I've been in an ongoing battle for years with this one; I am so normal when it comes to being normal. Maybe I'll find a way to be successful instead!!

Photo Credit: EyeDrawingTips.com 

No comments: