Saturday, April 1, 2023

Groceries and Me.

 Anyone who has spent any real time with me knows I love going grocery shopping. Now, let me back up and say I love going grocery shopping when I have a lot of money to spend. I don't really like going if I'm on a tighter budget. The fun is in buying the unique and one-off things you need to make a particular dish, or just because you saw something and thought you (I) had to have it. I love that. Also, I love Aldi. This fact is a real shock to my Scottish friends because, in their country, Aldi isn't the better choice. Here in the U.S., and in Oklahoma City particularly, I love it. It's a very open and clean store. Yes, they could use another cashier or two, but if you go when there are fewer people that really isn't a problem.

    Aldi, along with many other stores, has discontinued using plastic bags (one use) and I really appreciate that. I know we use them for lining our bathroom trashcans, but we can use something else. We need to do what we can do to reduce the carbon footprint; but then again, saying that I know what the Bible says about the last days and especially after the Rapture, so yeah, plastic bags are the least things to worry about. Nevertheless, if I can do that now, I can do that. I even fussed because the gallon jugs of oils and vinegar that I buy are still in big heavy thick plastic bottles. We could use glass, but that's dangerous; I hate that.

    Back to the grocery shopping. I went to Big Lots today to get some things because believe it or not, Big Lots has a lot of really cool things. I got toilet paper, paper towels, dishwashing soaps, and all that sort of thing. I also got the condiments, coffee, filters, and things you can't remember to buy when you're buying actual groceries. I ordered the cat food online but picked up the dog food and treats because we had run completely out last night. Can't have hungry dogs. We can have hungry cats for a day, but then they start circling your bed when you lay in it....and you know.

    I went to Aldi finally, and without even trying I filled up that grocery cart with literally EVERY thing I wanted except they didn't have the Brussels sprouts I wanted and they didn't have their chicken on sale; Winco to the rescue. I'll do that Tuesday. When you walk into Aldi (in OKC) you hit the produce. Yes, please. Then the bread, the crackers, the cheese, the cans, the snacks, cereal, and some meats. I love this store. I think I spent $250, and I could have spent more if I did get the pot roast and chicken, but I'm going to Winco for that. Winco has the bulk section where I pick up my trail mix stuff and they have more produce to pick as well. Aldi doesn't have the melons, the squashes, or the spinach. 

    At Big Lots, I also picked up my first EVER George Foreman grill. It's the one with the copper plate and they had mismarked it. I thought it was cheaper than it should be, but since that's the price that was marked, that's the price I got it for. Woot!!  My son has it, and it really works well. Again, with the whole trying to lessen my carbon footprint, I'm using the smaller appliances when I can.  Big Lots also has the coffee I like, cheap paper products, that I already mentioned, and they have vinegar in jugs. I use it for my baths. Yes, I'm a weirdo, but I am ph balanced!!

    I went on Pinterest and found 11 dinner recipes to make between now and the next time I get paid. I figure if I go to the store and buy what I need I can save a buck or two. I am not sure I did, but at least I have all the things I need to make really good food.  I always make enough to eat the next day for lunch, or maybe dinner if I grab a peanut butter sandwich; yes, I bought great peanut butter too. If I go to Winco and get their peanuts they have a machine that crushes them into peanut butter and that's really good!  I think I ended up with six different cheeses and cream cheese so I can make the chocolate cheesecake. I don't use sugar, I use monk fruit, but it's still just as good. You should try that sometime.

    About the only things I didn't get that I need to get at Winco now are the things I've mentioned and Cadbury easter egg chocolates, the little ones. I'm making bird nests with chow mein noodles, chocolate and butterscotch morsels, and coconut. Pinterest that, no wait, I'll add a photo at the bottom. They are so cute. I am going to make the cheesecake, and then also I'll make cupcakes with ice cream cones which will be adorable. I just have to get another cupcake pan. Mine is really old and I'm done with it. I know...40 years is a long time to keep a cupcake pan. It is. It will be loved and remembered. It just won't be in my kitchen anymore.

    So that's it. I got my good healthy heart and soul dose of going grocery shopping. I have my hemp hearts, hemp oil for cooking, zen teas, pea flower tea, eggs, bacon, bagels, and more. I didn't buy anything really from the dairy section other than milk, butter, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, creamer, and yogurt. LOL. I guess I did, huh? I love shopping for food. I could do it all day but not for someone else. There are people who do that, but I like doing my own. I used to go online (and yes, I still do) at www.tesco.co.uk and I fake order food. I don't actually order it as I don't have an address in Scotland for them to bring it to, but I do shop and dream about it. Go ahead, say I'm weird. It's cheaper than cocaine, and not as deadly! 


Photo Credit: Pinterest. (You can use chocolate morsels too, and coconut)

    

No comments: