Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Chapter One is Done. (Murder Book)

 I realized after I wrote the title "Chapter One is Done" that I would need to clarify which book was done because it would appear that I've written more than one book. Murder Book is officially my 7th book I think. I'll have to go look it up. I've written about 15 more but I've not published them. I need to combine them, chunk them, produce them, or rewrite them. I need to, I need to. I don't do it, but I do need to. I think it would be GREAT if I could be the person I'm pretending to be, and get out there and WRITE more.

    The first chapter of Murder Book is done.  I wrote it last night and it really only took me about an hour. I knew what I wanted to say. The following chapters will be a bit more difficult, but I'm hoping I can have the same flow of energy and decision-making. I tend to write when I'm writing if that makes sense. I have a really good idea of what I want to say, then I just set my fingers free on the keyboard and see what they have to say. This book will be fun to write as the narrator is a bit gruff and really says what they (no gender) want to say. The narrator is the person telling the story, and it's not written in 1st or 3rd party. This is an observation book. The narrator can be anything you wish them to be; as long as they say what I wrote, and don't go off half-cocked on their own storyline. That would be upsetting.

    I have a really wonderful at-home position at this time, and it allows me to spend a few hours just writing, researching, and doing what I need to do to get the books written as long as I also put in the work and answer the phone when it rings. I think I'll add my boss to this book, and my freaking awesome co-worker because she really helps the day pass faster as well. She's a licensed agent who has been with my boss for a little under a year now. We both work from home, and he takes us out to lunch now and again so he can have human interaction. When we zoom I usually choose not to be on camera so I don't have to put on makeup or wear work-appropriate clothes. My boss is forever saying he wishes he had that option. He does. He just doesn't realize he has that option. 

    The first chapter is all about grabbing the reader's attention. It needs to lay out the story, the plot, and a few characters to get the audience interested. It needs to tell just enough to keep them wanting to read more and more. The book takes place in the years 1918-1932, but there are really only references to the earlier years. The true work years in the book are 1929-1932 (Just after midnight on January 1, 1932). We'll see some really cool things, learn some more cool things, and witness murders and cover-ups, as well as an attempted murder that ends up leading to the arrests of the killers; not to mention sex....did I mention sex? Oh, well, I think you have to throw in a few bits and bobs to keep it moving. People like sex for some reason, so there will be a sex scene...maybe two.  We'll see if the detective takes off his overcoat for that. 

    I'm writing this book and then deciding where I should have it produced. I think I can find a place that will be as good as Xlibris, and that won't take too much effort. I'm hoping I can price the books at the price I want them to be priced at so that whenever someone buys the book I'll get money and they will feel that it is a good price too.  These books are so cheap-looking these days; it's a shame, but it's true.  They are worth about $10. I hope I can get Ingram to print the books for $10 and the Ebook will be about $5.99; that's the hope.

    Last night, after writing the first chapter, which really was only 1600 words; I decided to write out the notes for the remainder of the book. I got 21 pages typed up and thought no, I need more. I need so so so much more. So, tonight I'll add another 30 pages to the notes. It's really not that much when you break it down. I put out quotes I want to include, and ideas I want the characters to see, feel, say, experience, etc. I say things like "Discuss Conan Doyle's death" and that alone will be a two-page discussion.  It's as if each suggestion or note could bear 2-3 pages of fluff and stuff all by themselves. I could end up with fat book friends. I already know there will be a few (a lot) historical events taking place, or being mentioned. It's going to be a good and interesting ride - - both for me, the writer, and you, the reader. FUN TIMES...look for Murder Book to be available in the summer of 2023.


Photo Credit: Thehansindia.com

No comments: