Sunday, April 2, 2023

I'm Thinking Kinghorn!

 One of the most fun things that I do (yes, I'm that boring) is to get on www.rightmoves.co.uk and look at places to live. I know every last inch of Scotland I think; at least the Lowlands. I'm not really into the Highlands, sorry.  I am not a born Scot, but I have Scottish blood running through me. Unfortunately, I also have English blood as well, and this could be the reason you'll see me fighting with myself. I know, I know, I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I do have a 5% Italian/Iberian thing going on, so there could be a referee inside of my brain telling each of my other sides to get back to their respective corners. I'd love to sell off my English blood/roots for those of a more tartan color...alas! I am who I am.

    After long long hours, many days, weeks, months, and even years, of going through the channels on YouTube, watching videos, researching and even subscribing to local newsletters, I knew I would more than likely end up in Fife. I love Bo'Ness in West Lothian, don't get me wrong, but I would feel more at home, more "Me" if I were in the Kingdom of Fife. Just sayin'. It's like I want to say "Why yes, I do live in Scotland, where? Oh, I live in the Kingdom!"  In case you didn't know, I am a dork. Yes, I am! BIG time dork.  If I can say I live in the Kingdom, I will do that. So, having given the Kingdom a really hard look over, and coming up with my top three choices, I'm thinking Kinghorn has edged out Inverkeithing, which was just slightly above Dalgety Bay, to begin with.  

    Dalgety Bay was #3 and would have been #2 if Inverkeithing didn't have a better train route to Edinburgh. However, Dalgety Bay has more beaches, more stores, more entertainment, and more people than Inverkeithing.  Nevertheless, it's also more expensive for the EXACT same square footage, etc. I don't have to live on the beach. I don't have to live next to a grocery store. I have the bus. I have the train. I can do this and if I can do this at $99,000 versus $149,000.00 I'm going to. That's where Kinghorn comes in! WHAT?  That's right. It's less expensive than even living in Inverkeithing.

    Kinghorn, according to the SIMD (Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivations. It's a real thing) is ranked as high as Dalgety Bay in terms of liveability, and it's cheaper. It would take me 43-48 minutes on the train to reach Edinburgh rather than 37-39 minutes, but for the cost difference, I'm good.  Kinghorn is prettier than Inverkeithing, it's as cheap if not cheaper but has very very very pleasant scenery, and it's has a good church, multiple things I can join to be a part of the community, and it has a BOXING GYM!! WHAT? Yes, that makes me happy.  I will join that.

    The three things I have to have access to are: food, health, and a way to get to Edinburgh.  There are 3 or 4 shops that have enough food for me, and I can take the train into Dalgety Bay to get more or have it delivered.  There's a hospital in Kirkaldy only 4 miles out, and the rail station is about 1/10 of a mile from where I am looking to purchase if I get the money to do it. I think if the flats are not available, I'll just wait until one is available. It's a good place. I may have to do it. I can see myself living there, walking the beaches, boxing, bowling (not the same as it is here), and riding my bike up and down the coast. Good scenes. Good vibes. Good all the way around.

    The train taking you into Edinburgh literally runs every 20-30 minutes from 6 a.m. to about midnight, so there's no reason to stay overnight in the big city. I can just hop on early, stay all day, get back on the train, and come home after a day of museum hopping and walking large parks with borrowed dogs. I think I'll find a place that will loan me a dog; that would be a great business, don't you think? They have a place already where you can have tea with cats in Edinburgh. Why not borrow a dog and take it for a walk around the Meadows? I could see that being a thing.

    OK anyway, that's the thought of the day.  Kinghorn.  Google it. It's worth it.

Photo Credit: Pinterest.com

No comments: