Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Steph Macleod - an Inspiration.

 Steph Macleod – An Inspiration

About three and half years ago now, I was listening to my Alan Williams collection (you should do that) and I realized that what I was listening to seemed really Celtic and woodsy.  I liked it. I was having one of those moments when I wanted to listen to worship music, but I really liked the Celtic side too.  I went on a search engine and literally Googled the two words "Celtic" and "Worship".  That was easy!  What I found was a band in Scotland called "Celtic Worship", and guess what they play? You got it, Celtic worship music, or worship music with a twist and upbeat Celtic sound.  I loved it.  I think I heard the first note of the first song and thought "Yes, this is it! I like these people!"   I listened to the first words from the lead singer and my heart stopped. 

    Steph Macleod, one of the lead vocalists for the band, as well as a very talented musician in his own right, sent off an immediate alert to my soul when I heard his voice for the first time. It was weird really, because I've heard countless voices, and listened to so many singers in the past. I worked for a major concert producer for years, so yeah, hearing someone sing was normal; it was an everyday event. This time it was so deeply different. I remember stopping the video to go see who this guy was. I'm not going to lie, I couldn't find the information as to who he was, and for a while I thought his name was Steve McCord.  Turns out the lead singer for Celtic Worship is Steph Macleod; short for Stephen, but he goes by Steph.  From that first song I couldn't shake him out of my head or heart. He was just there, living rent free, and I didn't mind. I listened to every song Celtic Worship had listed on YouTube, Spotify, Instagram, anywhere I could find them. 

    I realized about twelve songs in, that Steph had a solo career as well as being associated with Celtic Worship. YouTubes videos, interviews, and other searches led me to watching him give his heart thumping testimony about how he came to being a gospel singer in the first place, when in reality, he was neither a singer or a Christian. He tells the story of how he was an alcoholic by the age of 17, and how a series of events over the next few years found him living homeless on the streets of Edinburgh, but not before bottoming out in Thailand, needing to be rescued.  Words like “gut-wrenching” are a way to adequately describe his story, but so are "authentic", "raw", and "gracious".  If it hadn't been for his faith and what God did for this man, you and I would not be able to listen to his musical contributions today, nor would we know of his continued struggles to stay mentally healthy in a world that insists on calling us out for our shortcomings! Steph is one of those who lives in the trenches when it comes to being real about life. He's been there, recovered, fallen, retraced his steps, asked for help, and has recovered again.

    I think what I like best about the man is that he's not apt to play the victim card, but accepts the full and ugly responsibility of his own actions. He's been arrested, spent time in jail, he's been in rehab a couple of times. He's stood on his own, worked hard, relapsed, and as I said, he was strong enough to ask for help.  He is that same rock for others now, and though being someone's refuge can be daunting and take its toll, Steph's faith is grounded and his hope is dug deeply in the love of Jesus. This fact simply oozes out of his songs and instrumental talent. Besides being a lead guitarist, he was classically trained as a pianist while growing up in Edinburgh.  For years he made his way through music; he just wasn't a singer until after he gave his voice the opportunity to tell his story through the words he wrote about going through addiction and recovery.  The words were his to sing, and he sang them. 

    Today, the handsome, bearded, sultry singing, tattooed gutsy artist has left the Celtic Worship band, and is focusing on more than just producing his own very special music. He's been ministering to the homeless, literally going to them on the streets where he once lived. He speaks with them, showing them that there is hope. He works in the prison ministry, and through a fantastic arrangement with the Bethany Christian Trust, the facility that literally brought Steph back to life, he works with sharing the Word and the life of Christ to men and women who are incarcerated, unable to make it to a traditional worship service.  Through creative practices online he and his band have managed to overstep the boundaries of being locked down through Zoom and other platforms. They bring us song, hope, joy, and worship through the magic and technology of the internet. What a way to inspire! What a means of transformation!

    Steph's music is available online through Amazon and Spotify.  You can catch him on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram as well.  Give him a look! Your ears and heart will thank you for eternity! That's a promise. 

UPDATE:  he's not always bearded...and just as handsome as ever.


Photo Credit: Issac Bannister of www.cchh.org.uk

No comments: