Friday, September 30, 2022

Oh, the Possibilities.

 I mentioned to my boss this morning that the company would be better served both politically and in market ability if they hired more women for the trading floor, and as sales representatives; especially in the global markets.  His look was incredible. I wish I could have bottled his expression and sold it online.  Maybe if I could have duplicated his expression, mass-produced it then possibly sold it as a commodity or even a security, that would have been even better!  He sort of halfway laughed, but you could tell in the middle of the first slight movement of his upper lip, he realized how valuable the statement was.  He came back around with an affirmative nod which was followed by a question. He asked me if I would be interested in setting that up or if I was just spitballing.  I smiled right back at him and let him know that Scotland was a point of interest; it may be a great place to start with our eye on global expansion. He walked away slowly, turned, and stated that I may be onto something. I told him I wanted first dibs on Scotland, I wasn't much into London, Dubai, or any other world stage. 

    To say I'm new at the firm would be a gross understatement. I literally started there less than a month ago.  I have, however, been targeted for the sales and trading floor(s) because I showed initial interest when I was first interviewed for a support position. I turned down another position at another firm so that I could grow with the one I am with. I will keep my place for now. I will learn my current role, and I'll take any and all necessary measures to keep up with the growth and progress of the new seed I planted firmly inside the brain of the one person who can make it actually happen.  

    Our trading floor, and the trading floors of so many investment firms, have an overload of masculine representation; to put it bluntly. There is a lack of female counterparts for a few reasons, the first of which is the tradition of only hiring assertive, often overly confident personalities for the job. Not all sure-footedness comes with a male soul. Some of us stand-for-what-we-believe-will-be-best in the way of customer service, sales, and revenue growth comes from the sweeter of the sexes. We women can be quite persuasive when we need to be. Our base abilities to garner and nurture relationships are well renowned! Women have been selling, out-selling, and dominating many of the markets out in the big bad world; trading shouldn't be as far in arrears as they have been!  Times are changing! 

    I trade for myself now, and I'll be trained to trade for others later. I'm thinking I will couple that skillset with a business development model that I've used in the past, to not only hone in on a global market (Scotland) as a pilot group, but I'll end up either managing the global outreach program or at least be a part of establishing it. I'm seriously not interested in globe-hopping; I will be satisfied with keeping myself occupied and preoccupied in the land of Heather. There is/are plenty of fish to be found for what we will need, and it may be that another person may be more interested in continuing the growth abroad. We have offices now in about six or seven American cities; we need Canada, we need London; maybe Dublin too. We need the Virgin Islands for sure, but I think we need Scotland first; even if it is just more or less for personal reasons.  We won't go fully global as the trust level of many world markets are/is not what it would need to be in order to both invest in the build and sustain the relationship(s). We can trust Scotland! 

    It won't happen today or tomorrow, so I don't have to worry too much about finding myself a place to live.  When I do move it will likely be into the City Centre so I can have access to as many strong offices as possible; there are three major banks in Scotland, as well as the Bank of England (a national bank in Scotland) but there are over 2000 financial institutions and many of them would be considered our type of client. I'm sure I could keep myself busy for a year or two on the relations side and trickle in the trades as they come; such possibilities!! I'm in think mode at this point. I'll learn what I need to learn, do what I need to do, go where I need to go and achieve all that I can. Good plan!

OK, speaking of plans, I need to go make dinner!  Smothered chicken, or Marry Me Chicken, as it's often called. Woot!


    

Photo Credit: stv.tv

No comments: