Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Waiting. Waiting. I Hate It.

 Tom Petty sings it, we feel it, "The waiting is the hardest part", yes, it is! It doesn't matter what you're waiting on, the waiting is just such a bother.  They call it a queue (que) in the UK, we call it a line in the U.S., but standing around waiting to get into a place, or to get checked out is just so time consuming and it's such a waste.  The Brits can do it so much better than we Americans can. I think that's why stores here have more cashier lanes than they do in other parts of the world. It's an illusion for some, as the stores don't open those lanes, but we see them and we're hopeful. Always hopeful!

    I will walk into a restaurant I really want to go to, but if there are more than a few (3) people in line I just turn around and head out the door. I don't stand in line to be seated to wait for a wait staff, to wait for my food. It's not happening. I'll go home and cook. I may stop by Braum's and go through the drive through but I won't go in if I think there's already two others at the counter. That's why, here in the U.S., when we drive by a Chick-Fil-A and we see a short line of only 3 or 4 cars we automatically jump in line (que) because Chick-Fil-A has it down to a masterful science! You are in and out of that line fast, fast, and it's always their pleasure to do so. They tell you as much when you say "Thank you".

    Right now I'm waiting to be told by an employment agency whether or not I've been chosen to be the next paralegal at a great law firm downtown. This is the sort of job we all dream about as people who are into both legal things and financial things. This particular job embraces both finance and law. I can't think of anything more sexy than that. Just sayin'; it will be marvelous if I'm the one they pick, but I won't and I can't know at the moment. I have to WAIT. I am waiting, but no where near as patiently as one would hope that one would wait. I'm dancing and talking to get my mind off of it. I can't sit still and read. I can't just not think about it. I may have already won the position, but I won't know until I get the call saying so! It's agonizing and it's the worse fate ever -- but we do it. 

    My daughter was in the middle of a horse auction yesterday through the original BLM, the Bureau of Land Management.  She does that from time to time. She will bid on a wild Mustang, bring it home, train it, and then sell it, but this time it was for herself. She was bidding and winning on the ONE she wanted and since she was only bidding on one she had to have about 15 in mind so that if she was outbid she could walk away without being emotionally upset about it. If you ever go to the site and see the animals you'll know that most are between the ages of two and ten and they are all recently captured, and by recently I mean usually about a year. There's really no way they would auction off horses that haven't been vetted first. All of the horses you bid on are healthy. I don't think I've seen on that isn't.  

    Laura had to WAIT an entire week to find out if the horse(s) she bid on were going to be hers. The one piece of advice I gave her was not to worry, God makes more. There are always more horses to bid on, and they are all lovely. The are all wonderful. They are all perfect in their own way.  The hardest part of these auctions is the last 15 minutes of the dang thing because the people who sat back since day one watching what was being bid on have now decided to come out and outbid anyone who has bid on a horse they have been interested in bidding on. This can happen in a minute and you'll miss it if you're not on top of things. Laura checked her bid every 30 seconds. She was outbid. She rebid. She was outbid again, she moved forward.

    On and on this went until the last minute of the week-long auction and BAM!  She got her gelding! He was the 3rd I think that she was hoping for. He's wonderful. He's really very nice, and she is quite satisfied with the outcome.  He is from Nut Mountain up in Northern California/Nevada. He's 15H and 3 years old. He's a solid bay and mostly out of quarter horse and thoroughbred stock that has been loosed and running with the packs for  years.  So graceful. Worth the wait for sure.  She checked on the others she was bidding on as well; one went for over $1600 and one went for $1000 or just at.  She paid $125, which is the price of 1 bid.  In the past we've paid as little as $25 for a Mustang. The U.S. Government literally pays a Mustang purchaser $1000 in the first year if you keep it and protect it in a good pasture. You don't even have to train them to get that incentive, it's a strange but wonderful program. Laura will have her boy trained within 3 months of having him in her care.  When I bought Norman I just paid the money and took him home. Done.

    Waiting, waiting, waiting. None of us like it, but it can be worth it in the end. Sure, we can also be disappointed when the results come in; we can lose. We can be set aside, and we can say to ourselves "that was a big waste of time" and it may be.  We can also say to ourselves, "It will be fine either way, I hope for this outcome, but know I'll be OK with another outcome."  It's all in how we choose to look at it. For me, I would rather just walk up and get my food or make it at home. I would rather be told at the time of the interview if I'm the chosen one. I would rather walk up to the stable and buy the horse. I'm just not that patient of a person I guess - - but I am sure that the wait for Christ's return will be worth it. I'm just (obviously) not sure when that will happen - - I've been saying He's late for years. 

    Most of us survive the wait (even if we don't think we will). 


Photo Credit:  Me (Facebook) The horse photo from BLM
This is Aero, Laura's new boy.


No comments: