Monday, June 13, 2022

My Opinion on People Who Love Black Licorice.

 Well, according to the all-knowing internet:  People who like black licorice, "Black licorice fans consider themselves more wild and crazy. They like spontaneity and the thrill of adventure and are more likely to be outspoken, freely share their opinions with others, and often feel as though they're going a million miles an hour."  www.licoriceinternational.com. Do I agree? I don't know, I think yeah, I'm rather wild and crazy at times, but I think also there is something to be said about those of us who like the odd-tasting things in life, and or those of us who don't like the taste of sweet sugar in our tea! Ewww...and I'm from the South!

    Black licorice lovers are apt to be brave, outspoken, and energetic, even to the point of being annoying at times. People often think that people who eat black licorice only claim to like it, but secretly only have the ability to stomach it so as to appear to be tougher, meaner, badder, and able to face more conflict. That's another sort of pseudo quote from an unremebered source. I was thinking about this months ago and had a conversation with a former colleague, and they read it somewhere. It's unofficial at best.  Take that with salt or any other seasoning you prefer.

    I think it's funny that someone will even ask me if I like black licorice or red licorice as if I can't like them both. I love them both. They both have their place in my life, and in my heart. I will eat both, and though it may depend on my mood as to which I prefer, I am usually truly loyal to the sticky-tar-like mass of candy (can we call it a candy?) if given a choice to take one or the other. I am a fan of Good and Plenty over the standard basic licorice pieces. I can tell you that. I do like the candy-coated pink and white pill-shaped pieces. They sell those in bulk at Winco. Yes, I do know this, and yes, I do shop this. 

    As far as I can tell, there are two types of people in this world. There are those who love black licorice and those who hate it. You really don't find many who are indifferent to it. I find that people make faces, turn their nose to it, and say nasty things about it, or they simply smile with their hand out. I'm of the ilk to ask for more; I even like NyQuil, which as you may or may not realize, has the flavoring of black licorice or anise in it to mask the medicine taste.  I think we're just a bit odd or different perhaps. The Licorice International folks did a study back in the day and found that only 3% of the surveyed thousands claimed to like black licorice as a kid and that they still like it.  One commenter said only folks over the age of 80 like it, that's not true.

    Growing up I remember very clearly that my mom not only hated it, she told us we hated it, too. I didn't hate it. I loved it. I had this sort of argument going on about it from time to time. She also said Dr. Pepper was made out of prunes. She was either lying to us intentionally or just repeating what others had said about it. Either way, I remember thinking I don't only like black licorice, I wanted it when I saw it, I bought it when I could, and I never had to worry about sharing it - - though you know I always asked. I was raised that way. (you might say I rather enjoyed that cordial chore because I knew their response usually, and it made me smile every time.)  At least I asked!

Photo Credit: Swanson Vitamins



    

No comments: